UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Need Help! Acess 2007 Rt "crashes" On Windows 10, Access 2007    

ztatzau
post Oct 9 2018, 07:14 PM
Post#1

I have a strange problem! I distribute a 32 bit Access 2007 RT (ACCDB>ACCDE>ACCDR) split FE/BE database that generally runs pretty well on most platforms. In most cases, including this case, my installation program installs the Access 2007 RT and my program is configured to run with that.

My Autoexec macro opens and maximizes three forms (in Overlapping Windows)... 1) Main Menu, 2) License Agreement, and 3) the program's Opening Screen. The Opening Screen has a "Continue" button that simply closes the Opening Screen form to reveal the License Agreement form. The License Agreement form has an Agree button and an Exit button. Clicking the Agree button closes the License Agreement form to reveal the Main Menu form. Somewhat archaic, I know, but has worked well for many years.

Today I got a call from a client running Windows 10, who installed my program a couple of months ago. It has operated fine until today when, after starting the program and clicking on the Opening Screen's Continue button, the program just disappears and he's back to the Windows desktop! When the program first starts my program's Icon appears in the Windows 10 Task Bar but when he clicks Continue and the program "disappears", the program's Icon also disappears from the Task Bar.

I spent some time with him today on the phone, removing: 1) the Access 2007 Runtime, and 2) a preinstalled trial version of MS Office which came with the machine but was never activated, and 3) my program. He then reinstalled my program and is still having the same issue described above. I seem to think that my RT database program is still running somewhere in the background because after the program "disappears", looking in the program's folder (C:\MyProgram), you can still see the MyProgram.laccdb file which normally disappears when MyProgram.accdr is closed.

My only hunch is that perhaps there was a Windows 10 Automatic Update installed over the weekend that may have screwed something up. Other than that possibility, I am at a complete loss as to what may be happening here.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated! ZT
Go to the top of the page

merlenicholson
post Oct 10 2018, 12:01 AM
Post#2

I can't help much, haven't seen this happen with Access, but here's a start:
Determine if the Access program is still running using Task Manager. It may be running and the UI is gone, make sure you can kill the task within Task Manager.
Next use the system Event Viewer to see if it has logged the crash event. You may get a clue there.
Have you replaced his copy of the app since this happened to see if it's been corrupted?
On your own system, de-compile your app, and compile again, send him a new one.
Last, you may find it worthwhile to install Access to that machine to see if that makes a difference.

Please - Keep the thread up to date so we all know how this turns out.

--------------------
Merle Nicholson
Ninety percent of all mental errors are in your head. - Yogi Berra -

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 10 2018, 08:08 AM
Post#3

UA Admin

Did the client do a reboot of this computer?

There was, indeed, a significant WIndows Update last week, and I'm not surprised that there is at least a coincidental connection between that and subsequent "anomalies' being reported.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

ztatzau
post Oct 10 2018, 01:21 PM
Post#4

Thanks for the suggestions Merlin!

I can't help much, haven't seen this happen with Access, but here's a start:
Determine if the Access program is still running using Task Manager. It may be running and the UI is gone, make sure you can kill the task within Task Manager.

Good Idea! I didn't think of that until after posting my question here! I did, however, email the client to search the Update History on his Windows 10 machine to see if there were any Automatic Updates installed just prior to experiencing this problem with MyApp.

Next use the system Event Viewer to see if it has logged the crash event. You may get a clue there.
I will ask my client to do so; though I'll have to do some searching to find the Windows 10 Event Viewer so as to be able to instruct my client.

Have you replaced his copy of the app since this happened to see if it's been corrupted?
Yes! I always include a backup copy of the original app (MyApp.accdr) on my setup CD. Replacing the accdr file with the backup copy was the first thing we tried when on the phone with the client yesterday. Same results! This is what gave rise to my thinking that something else on his computer had changed.

On your own system, de-compile your app, and compile again, send him a new one.
Simply because the App was running great on the client's computer since August, I don't think this would help! But please correct me if I'm mistaken on this!

Last, you may find it worthwhile to install Access to that machine to see if that makes a difference.
That perhaps might help but this client has no use for, or desire to purchase (or even activate a trial version) any MS office or Access programs on his computer.

Please - Keep the thread up to date so we all know how this turns out.
WILCO!

Thanks to you too George!

Did the client do a reboot of this computer?
Yes! Several times! That was one of the first things we did when he called and then again after removing and reinstalling MyApp! No change!
It may be interesting to note that the client informed me, that another individual in the Office had been leaving MyApp running though minimized to the Task Bar when not in use. The client then instructed this individual not to use the Desktop Shortcut to open MyApp but simply click on the MyApp Icon on the TASK Bar to bring up the program. I don't know how long this condition lasted but wonder if this practice may have contributed to the current issue???

There was, indeed, a significant WIndows Update last week, and I'm not surprised that there is at least a coincidental connection between that and subsequent "anomalies' being reported.
Uh Oh! I was rather afraid of that! If the current problem was indeed caused by a recent Windows 10 Update, how long does it usually take for an issue such as this to become widely known in the (Access/RT) "industry" and then corrected? I'd feel terrible to only be able to tell my client... "The problem was likely caused by a Windows 10 update and we'll just have to wait until the Windows Update problem is identified and resolved!"

How would you proceed, if this was your client, George?

BTW: What happened to the UA forum's "Quote" button for quoting a previous contributor's replies! I don't see it anymore and had to copy and paste your posts manually here instead of "quoting them" in my reply?

ztatzau
post Oct 12 2018, 02:36 PM
Post#5

"Crashing" Problem Update!

My client searched his Windows 10 Update History and did discover an Automatic Update had been installed on Friday 10/3 and the "crashing problem" began shortly thereafter. I've asked him to provide me with the details on the 10/3 Update(s) but likely won't hear back from him again until next week. Fortunately, he installed MyApp on an extra laptop computer they had on hand and so they're up and running again with my business management App on the laptop. I'll follow up again with any additional updates or details.

I did as Merle suggested and decompiled my copy of the client's database thinking I'd try sending him a freshly decompiled/recompiled/compacted copy but under the circumstance I don't think that will solve whatever is causing the problem on his Windows 10 computer. I am of course, open to any advice or suggestions on how best to proceed.

BTW: Can anyone tell me what happened to the forum's "Quote Buttons" for quoting replies? I'm not seeing it anymore on IE 11!

ZT

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 12 2018, 06:18 PM
Post#6

UA Admin

The quote button was removed some time ago.

Copy/paste works.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

ztatzau
post Oct 12 2018, 08:48 PM
Post#7

GroverParkGeorge Posted Today, 06:18 PM

The quote button was removed some time ago.

Copy/paste works.

Well thanks for that info George!
ZT

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 13 2018, 10:03 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

I don't recall the full discussion, but we more or less came to the conclusion that, if quoting part of a previous post is really, really, critical to a subsequent post, then a simple copy/paste makes sense.

On the other hand, easily facilitating large chunks of quoted text that expand the thread (and storage) probably doesn't make as much sense. You know how it goes. If it's there, it gets used -- sometimes more than necessary.

--------------------
Beginning SQL Server

ztatzau
post Oct 13 2018, 10:48 PM
Post#9

I see. Thanks for the explanation!

ztatzau
post Oct 16 2018, 02:48 PM
Post#10

CRASH PROBLEM UPDATE

Client is still having the same problem (Windows 10 - Access 2007 RT App) MyApp appears to start normally then, after clicking Continue on opening screen form, (which simply closes the opening screen form to reveal the first of two screens that are already open behind the opening screen) he sees a very short instance of the little blue Windows circular rotating "progress indicator" (?)... then MyApp simply disappears and he's back to the Windows 10 desktop. I should perhaps, restate that the MyApp.laccdb file still remains in the C:\MyApp folder after MyApp disappears.

As suggested by previous contributors to this thread, I've verified that MS Office Access (32 bit) and MyApp does show up in the Task Manager while the opening screen is still visible, but does not show up in Task Manager after MyApp disappears... even though the laccdb file still remains in C:\MyApp.

The client advised today...
... there were 2 windows updates installed on 9/26/2018...

Feature update for Windows 10, version 1803
2018 - 09 Security update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 version 1803 for x64 based system (KB4462930)

... there were also 4 Program Updates installed on 10/3/2018...

Dell Support Assist... I know recent versions have had problems running successfully but haven't heard of Dell Support Assist causing problems with other programs.
MacAfee Update... though the client does not use McAfee
Skype Update... though the client does not use Skype
Netflix Update... though the client does not use Netflix

The "crashing" problem began on 10/4, 10/5, or 10/8... (He can't be sure.)

I've decompiled/compacted/recompiled my copy of the client's DB and if anyone here thinks it's worth a try, I will send him a copy of the recompiled database to see if anything changes. Please advise on this!

Other than this, I've suggested the client might try reverting the computer state to prior "restore point" prior to the first occurrence of the problem AND/OR Uninstalling the most recent (9/26/2018 Windows 10 1803 Updates. Though I'm not sure which of these two possible solutions should be tried first,; if either? Please advise on this!

Please also advise of any other suggestions or advice! I do appreciate any assistance with this!
ZT

ztatzau
post Oct 17 2018, 10:00 AM
Post#11

merlenicholson suggested "...Next use the system Event Viewer to see if it has logged the crash event. You may get a clue there...."

I'm not at all familiar with the Event Viewer but have located it and opened it on my computer.

Can anyone describe what sort of event I should be looking for that might be related to the RT App "crashing"?
And in what section of the event viewer would such an event be found?

ZT
This post has been edited by ztatzau: Oct 17 2018, 10:25 AM

ztatzau
post Oct 17 2018, 01:51 PM
Post#12

Well I've got some additional information following up on MerleNichoson suggestion...though it doesn't seem like the A-RT,P&D forum has as much helpful participation as it did in the past.

I'm still hoping though, for some advice or suggestions and getting this problem solved.

I just spoke with my client on the telephone and had him open and "crash" MyApp on his computer... and then open the Window Event Viewer. I should note the client is even less familiar with the Event Viewer than I am. After poking around in the different "sections/topics" of the Viewer... under Custom Views > Administrator Events... he saw quite a few errors at the time of the most recent App "crashing". He described a few of them. best he could, and I had him provide some details on what I guessed was most relevant. Here's the info I was able to obtain from the client... though I may not have gotten it all exactly correct...

Event 1000, Application Error
Name: MSACCESS.EXE
VER: 12.0.64.23.1000
TIME STAMP: 0x49b08a47
Module Name: UNKNOWN, VER 0.0.0
Time Stamp: 0x00000000
Exception Code: 0xc0000005

Other than "MSACCESS.EXE" AND VER: 12.0.64.23.1000 likely referring to the Access 2007 RT MyApp Setup installed, I haven't a clue as to what any of this means! Can anyone help with any guidance or suggestions, based on the above information, to solve this problem. Or suggest any additional specific information I can ask my client to obtain from the Windows Event Viewer?

Any assistance will be much appreciated! ZT

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th October 2018 - 08:34 AM