UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Database.mdb, Access 2013    

SomekindaVB
post Jan 11 2018, 07:19 PM
Post#1

hello all.

I have a very curious issue and I don't know how to even start to address it.

Whenever I close down my access project the name is changed from It's correct name to Database.mdb. For example:

CODE
MylargeBD.acccdb => database.mdb

This is bizzare and very annoying. how do I fix this?

Cheers
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 11 2018, 08:47 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Do you have "compact on close" set?

Attached File  COmpactOnClose.jpg ( 307.55K )Number of downloads: 2

This is consistent with what happens when a Compact & Repair fails to complete properly, leaving the temporary file called "database.mdb" in the folder.

However, the original should not be lost in the process.

--------------------

SomekindaVB
post Jan 11 2018, 09:08 PM
Post#3

Oddly it wasn't set at all.

The even more oddly, I set it, and it ran through it compact sequence, created the database.mdb file, then changed it to the original file name. Now I only did this once so, didn't correctly test, but it is operating all very strangely.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 11 2018, 09:12 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

That part is perfectly normal.

So you are saying that you open a database called, for example, "MyLargeDB.mdb". And after you have worked with it for a while, you close it.
And at that point there is no longer a file called "MyLargeDB.mdb" in the folder, having been replaced by one called "database.mdb"?

--------------------

SomekindaVB
post Jan 11 2018, 10:33 PM
Post#5

Yes, you have summarised the problem accurately.

My front end db is almost 30 Mb. when I close it, it creates a database.mdb file in the same directory. Then, when that file reaches the same size as the original it seems to remove the original, then rename itself. which is what I presume is the compaction process taking place.

If the compact on close is not checked, it creates the database.mdb file, then removes the original.

I turned off the compact on close only to speed things up, since the front end doesn't really need to be compacted or repaired.

GroverParkGeorge
post Jan 12 2018, 12:26 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

That's what I thought. Something is causing the compact & repair to fail, leaving the database.mdb intact. Why that's happening is not clear, of course, because we can't see the process on your computer.

Does this happen every time? If you let it just complete without touching any of the files, does the same thing happen?

This could be the result of corruption in the mdb. And you say this is the Front End in a split database implementation?

Does the VBA compile? Have you observed any anomalies in performance?

One that might be helpful is to create a new, empty mdb and import all objects from this one. Another would be to use decompile .

--------------------

WildBird
post Jan 12 2018, 01:35 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

I agree, I would import everyting into a new DB. If that fails, import piece by piece to find offending item (could be a form for example that is corrupted).

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th January 2018 - 12:45 PM