UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Site Suggestions    

ridders
post Aug 6 2017, 10:07 AM
Post#1

I have several requests for changes to the site
Apologies if any of these have been raised previously (or indeed if the feature already exists!)
All would, in my view, make user experience better

1. Allow users to continue editing their posts - currently the Edit button is only available for a short time after posting.
If you later want to clarify something or add additional detail, you have to post a new thread which seems daft

2. Provide an option for viewing threads with the most recent post at the top.
Other forums have this but it doesn't seem to be possible at UA.
This would save a lot of time scrolling through posts to reach the latest

3. Link this forum to the Tapatalk app (as is the case with Access World Forums)
For anyone who isn't aware, this is an app for Apple & Android smartphones which allows you to keep up with forum activity on your phone when away from the computer.
I already get email notifications from UA but this app provides additional functionality

4. Speaking of email notifications, those from other forums provide the details of the latest post rather than just a notification.
This makes it easier to determine whether to log back into the site to follow up (or leave it till later)

5. Allow users to tag a new thread with relevant keywords - this would help with targeted searches

--------------------
Colin

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10, Website, email
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 6 2017, 10:52 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Have you tried Outline View? Would that be helpful in addressing the sequencing question?

Attached File  OutlineMode.png ( 15.34K )Number of downloads: 0

I've asked the rest of the admin team to review and consider your suggestions.

Keep in mind, though, that our forum software has certain features and functions that may or may not be customizable in the ways you've mentioned.

--------------------

ridders
post Aug 6 2017, 11:11 AM
Post#3

Hi

Yes I've tried Outline view - it just shows post 1 so it doesn't help

I do realise that there are limitations in all forum software and that the limitations may vary with the site
However, all the items I requested are available on many other forums e.g. Access World Forums where I am most active

For info, I also recently made requests for improvements to the AWF site including adding 'Unanswered Topics' as UA already had!
I created a site suggestions poll to determine the views of others.
AWF Site Suggestions poll

Hopefully my comment in post #53 of that thread turns out to be incorrect!

I'm pleased to say almost all the suggestions have since been added - apart from those which couldn't be done ...
This post has been edited by ridders: Aug 6 2017, 11:12 AM

--------------------
Colin

Access 2010 32-bit, Access 2016 32-bit & 64-bit, SQL Server Express 2014, Windows 10, Website, email

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 6 2017, 11:14 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

"...it just shows post 1 so it doesn't help"

Hm. I seldom, if ever, use the outline view, but I'm pretty sure it shows outline as a tree view , not a single post. It can be expanded or collapsed like any treeview.

Attached File  TreeviewPostsOutline.png ( 59.03K )Number of downloads: 4

--------------------

ridders
post Aug 6 2017, 11:38 AM
Post#5

Yes I accept that but still not as convenient (for me anyway) as reversing the order.
Its also the case that outline view is a temporary setting
You have to do it for each thread which is a bit of a chore.

If you have a lengthy thread, like this one Detect A Wireless Connection To The Backend File?, Access 2016 , even the treeview gets a bit overwhelming.

Hopefully others will join in on this thread and offer their viewpoints.

Or possibly I could start another poll (if the feature is available at UA)!
This post has been edited by ridders: Aug 6 2017, 11:39 AM

--------------------
Colin

tina t
post Aug 6 2017, 04:27 PM
Post#6

1. Allow users to continue editing their posts - currently the Edit button is only available for a short time after posting.
If you later want to clarify something or add additional detail, you have to post a new thread which seems daft

this might be easier for the writer, but i don't see an advantage for the reader. i don't want to have to re-read posts, or even check previous posts, every time i visit an ongoing thread - just to see what's been added/changed/deleted. easier to just read the new posts.

anyway, that's the only suggestion that i have a comment on. :)

hth
tina

--------------------
"you can't take the sky from me"

ridders
post Aug 6 2017, 06:48 PM
Post#7

I understand that point but can't see any reason why editing can't continue at least until the time when anyone replies to the post

Anyway, can I use this opportunity to thank George for forwarding my suggestions to the site admins
I meant to do it earlier but it was too late to edit my post & didn't want to start another for the sake of it .... !

--------------------
Colin

Auntie Jack
post Aug 6 2017, 08:19 PM
Post#8

I agree with ridders suggestions but particularly with
'5. Allow users to tag a new thread with relevant keywords - this would help with targeted searches'
I'm supportive of this because my (probably inept) methods of searching UA rarely get me what I'm looking for.
Jack

BruceM
post Aug 7 2017, 07:42 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

The latest post is at the top when responding, which I find convenient in that situation. For reading I prefer the arrangement with the latest posts at the bottom, but I understand that others prefer the opposite. I am a keyboard shortcut person, and use Ctrl + Home or Ctrl + End for fast navigation to the Home, etc. links at the top of the page or the most recent posting at the bottom (using page numbers first if there is more than one page).

ridders
post Sep 28 2017, 05:18 PM
Post#10

I made several suggestions for site improvements a couple of months ago.
There were a few replies then it disappeared into the ether as threads tend to do
So I'm giving this a 'bump' to try & encourage further responses & hopefully some changes being agreed.

These were my original requests:

Apologies if any of these have been raised previously (or indeed if the feature already exists!)
All would, in my view, make user experience better

2. Provide an option for viewing threads with the most recent post at the top.
Other forums have this but it doesn't seem to be possible at UA.
This would save a lot of time scrolling through posts to reach the latest

3. Link this forum to the Tapatalk app (as is the case with Access World Forums)
For anyone who isn't aware, this is an app for Apple & Android smartphones which allows you to keep up with forum activity on your phone when away from the computer.
I already get email notifications from UA but this app provides additional functionality

4. Speaking of email notifications, those from other forums provide the details of the latest post rather than just a notification.
This makes it easier to determine whether to log back into the site to follow up (or leave it till later)

5. Allow users to tag a new thread with relevant keywords - this would help with targeted searches

Of these, items 2,4 and 5 are to me the most important.

Two months on, I have two additional requests related to point 2
a) make it possible for outline view settings to be 'sticky' so that view is still in place when you move to new threads - currently you have to reapply it each time
b) on long threads which go into additional pages, there is an option to view the last unread post. Can this be visible from the start - again to allow for faster scrolling through a thread.

ALL of the above suggestions are currently available on other forums that I use regularly & are a great help

If I'm coming across as pushy in making such requests then I apologise.
I'm not asking for the current viewing options to be removed as they clearly suit many members
Nor am i seeking to impose my views on other UA members.
All I am asking for is a wider range of options that would suit some members who may prefer to do things slightly differently

Any views from other members of the forum?
This post has been edited by ridders: Sep 28 2017, 05:18 PM

--------------------
Colin

ghubbell
post Oct 4 2017, 05:55 PM
Post#11

UA Administrator

Hi Colin,
I've just caught sight of this one and here's a quick rundown after only a quick look.

#1 is not going to happen. Ever. Experience here is that people even within the hour or so time limit, have a tendency to come back in and mess up the original post so badly that all the responses are paramount useless. Worse, some folks delete them completely so there's a thread and a shipload of effort wasted. It's a thread so if there's something someone needs to add, add another post - really quite simple and then the 'flow' of the discussion (be it good or bad) can be addressed accordingly.

#2 Well, that shouldn't be a big deal really. Perhaps we could do something about that at some point. Coming off the forum menu though, the link does land you on the latest post.

#3 Tapatalk. This was brought up before and I might consider it at some point but only if the garbage (a la 'sent using my IPhone 8...') "Tapatalk" signature, is somehow scraped off these pages in the modification required. Statistically UA is used by majority in the workplace, by professionals, and on real computers. So that's not a no...we'll just call it a 'perhaps'.

#4 Email notification will not contain the content, sorry. This is again a bit in part an issue with user edits plus spam, bandwidth and keeping UA on the good side of blacklists. You do not need to log back in to review what you've been notified about - yes, you do need to stop by the site to read it all but 'here' Administrators and Editors get the opportunity to "correct" posts that perhaps shouldn't have gone out over the wire in the first place whereas copies of posts in emails would of course be impossible to catch.

#5 This is a novel idea though the true issue is our pathetic search engine which I'll be the first to admit, needs (has needed) a major overhaul. We'll see what can be done in the near future.

Well, I hope this puts things a little more in perspective for you, Colin. Many thanks for the ideas, concerns and of course, your patience.

Cheers,

Gord

ridders
post Oct 4 2017, 09:38 PM
Post#12

Thanks for the reply.
I hope it doesn't seem like I'm being negative about UA.
The forum has MANY very good features & a wealth of knowledge from many highly knowledgeable contributors
I just believe it could be even better with some tweaks

Follow up comments:
1. Editing - fair enough - though it seems to not cause issues on other forums
2. Reversing the order is for me a major priority so I would be very grateful if that could happen - particularly on long threads
3. Tapatalk is not a big deal though occasionally useful for AWF - oh & by the way I fit all the categories you listed in your response
4. Email - I am a regular contributor to 6 forums - UA is the only one that does not provide the email body
5. Keyword tags would significantly improve searching - again compare UA with other sites in this respect

You may have missed the additional points I raised:
Two months on, I have two additional requests related to point 2
a) make it possible for outline view settings to be 'sticky' so that view is still in place when you move to new threads - currently you have to reapply it each time
b) on long threads which go into additional pages, there is an option to view the last unread post. Can this be visible from the start - again to allow for faster scrolling through a thread.

Finally, as far as I can see there seems to be no way of removing a thread subscription once I have joined it. It would be useful
This post has been edited by ridders: Oct 4 2017, 09:39 PM

--------------------
Colin

ghubbell
post Oct 5 2017, 01:18 AM
Post#13

UA Administrator

Hi Colin,
Never a problem at all. This specific forum has been devoted to UA for exactly this reason. We have always accepted feedback from the people here and do try when possible, to accommodate.

Regarding outline view: ah yes, that's a bug in the software that's dropping your personal setting ( " &mode=threaded " ) from the URL. It will be on the list though I can't say at which moment it could be addressed. Threaded view very nearly got axed entirely just for the record, having been deemed quite antiquated versus standard / linear / flat mode. I believe it is used only by about one in one or two thousand members so it has (apologies) been somewhat neglected.

Re "last unread post. Can this be visible from the start..." - I'm guessing this is in outline/threaded view? I'm a bit confused regarding 'starting point'. It does exist in the standard mode best as I can see.

Remove thread or forum subscriptions by following the link up top, 'my control panel'. Left side of that result you'll see subscriptions and choose either topics or forums. You will see your list of subscriptions and to the right, a checkbox you can check and then towards the bottom of your list, select unsubscribe and click 'with selected'.

UA has always been a bit 'special' so to say - we have over time made some steps forward and also some steps backwards (mistakes), especially with the forum software. This specific software was (certainly past tense) fairly good at the time, but was terribly faulted in certain areas. On the plus side was a connection to the wiki: seamless, though within the forum itself, well, it was overburdened with unnecessary fluff that the majority never touched, ever. We and maybe even better to say 'I', really take issue to superfluous junk all for the sake of calling it 'a feature' and so a lot of what was there was simply stripped out - neutered / gone. The objective here has always been to concentrate on the content and that being good, concise, accurate answers within a fairly tolerable 'page'.

Gord cheers.gif

ridders
post Oct 5 2017, 04:11 AM
Post#14

Thanks.
Have successfully unsubscribed from a few threads.

I suppose it would have been too obvious to have the option as a button below 'track this topic' in Options sarcasm.gif

--------------------
Colin

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2017 - 07:07 PM