UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How Scalable Is Access, Access 2016    

Leah
post Jun 13 2018, 12:32 PM
Post#1

I just met with someone who truly likes what I can do for him via Access for the example I showed, but then asked about scalability as he wanted it to be able to be handed by up to fifty users. I was cautiously optimistic and said that I believe it was scalable at least for that number. Assuming that my tables are in MS SQL Server and everyone has their own copy of the front end file, am I safe to assume that we can move forward with this?

At what point should a different front end be considered and if so then what would that be?

Also when I was searching the web, an advertiser said to convert from Access to their product because Access "service" was going away? Any truth to Access as we know it being blown away by Microsoft?

Thanks

Leah

Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 12:41 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Leah,

Q1. Re: 50 users
If you're using SQL Server as the back end, then the concurrent access limitations in Access does not apply. Rather, concurrent access limitations with SQL Server will apply.

Q2. Re: different FE
If you decide to move to the "cloud," then you'll have to start thinking about moving away from Access.

Q3. Re: Access "service"
I believe they are talking about the Access "Web" Services in SharePoint. If anyone mentions Access Web Database or Access Web Application, those are the ones MS decided to discontinue.

Hope it helps...

Leah
post Jun 13 2018, 12:56 PM
Post#3

Thanks good to know that Access, at least so far will still be around. What if I am not talking the cloud, but just a different front end, maybe some sort of executable or Intranet front end? I have never worked with either one. Also is MS SQL ok for 50 users to be used internally? I searched the Web and was not clear on it. Also I am not talking BIG data so I feel pretty safe, though when the tables get large I have noticed a bit of a delay in getting query or report results.

Thanks

Leah

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 01:02 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Leah,

The delay you noticed may have been caused by many factors. SQL Server is used by enterprise companies with a lot more users than 50 and much more volumes of data. Frequently, the issue with slow data flow is with the design of the database, e.g. table indexing, normalization, query optimization, etc.

You can start thinking about going away from using Access as a Front End when you want to use something else as a front end. This includes "web" portals or other desktop applications created using Java, C#, or .Net.

Hope it helps...

GroverParkGeorge
post Jun 13 2018, 01:04 PM
Post#5

UA Admin

Just to tag on to thedbguy's comments.

AWS, which is the SharePoint technology that enabled Access Web Apps (and before that Access Web Databases), was deprecated in Office 365. It is still supported in on-premises SharePoint Sites, and will be through the next version according to current plans.

That said, many smaller competitors are taking advantage of this as an opportunity to "market against Microsoft" to promote their own products. There are several good choices, I believe, but don't be misled. The ONLY aspect of Access not being supported and even strengthened is that AWS technology on Office 365. If you have existing desktop Access database applications, they're totally safe for the foreseeable future.

SQL Server supports multiple thousands of users as a back end, in a properly architected environment. No worries there.

You can write your own interface to connect to the tables in an accdb, but doing so would have to be based on something pretty compelling. Access is, and always has been, the most effective way to create small to medium sized applications.

Leah
post Jun 13 2018, 01:37 PM
Post#6

Thank you both. I wish Access was more respected as an independent application as my turnaround beats stuff the fancy programmers by months, sometimes years or sometimes they just never get around to developing what people want and need yesterday.

kfield7
post Jun 13 2018, 03:18 PM
Post#7

50 users? Appears you're going straight to SQL Server for the back end - I did not see any discussion on using Access for the back end.

For Access back ends, the Access spec's say 255 concurrent users are allowed on an Access database.
I've read where some users have had issues with more than 10; others have had success with over 100.
I can't testify any results for more than a few users personally, my own dbs tend to be used by less than 10 (not for lack of ambition).

So it seems that depends on the scope and efficiency of the database design, as already stated in this thread, but I thought I'd throw that in the context of using Access as the back end on a wired LAN, or using Citrix or whatever.
Not at all trying to steer you away from SQL Server, SQL Server would seem the safer way to go.
This post has been edited by kfield7: Jun 13 2018, 03:20 PM

AlbertKallal
post Jun 13 2018, 03:51 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

Not much to add here to the typical great comments on UA.

We hang 50 or more users ALL the time off of the free edition of SQL (SQL express).

So even with “some” limitations in terms of ram and processors that the free edition of SQL server (SQL express), the system just smokes in terms of speed – even with more than 50 users.

And some years ago, they bumped up the max file size to 10 gig for the database with the free edition of SQL server.

So Access + SQL server is a great solution, and you can really scale up to as many users as you require – the only real limitation here is that of SQL server, and not the Access front end. That front end can be written in c#, vb.net, or Access – the speed in all 3 cases and the scaling out abilities are not really any different in the vast majority of cases.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP, 2003-2017)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Leah
post Jun 13 2018, 04:10 PM
Post#9

Good to know and from a fellow Canadian (I actually have dual citizenship, also naturalized US).

Thanks

Leah

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th October 2018 - 06:12 AM