UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not Respomding, Access 2016    

stephenAA5
post Jun 13 2018, 04:48 PM
Post#1

Hi, all. I have developed a database with which I am pretty happy. The only real issue is that at some points while queries are running, aspects of a form go grey, and I get the "not responding" title bar until they finish. Is there some way to prevent this, insulate users fro. Seeing it, or at least delay It? It leads users to think it has crashed, while really it is justifying a ton if work.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 04:56 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

One possible approach you could take is open a popup "wait..." or "processing..." form on top of your form before executing the queries and then close it when the process is done.

Just a thought...

stephenAA5
post Jun 13 2018, 05:00 PM
Post#3

I do, but it grays as well. Bummer.

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 05:03 PM
Post#4

Okay, how about turning Echo off?

stephenAA5
post Jun 13 2018, 05:25 PM
Post#5

I thought I had that on all of these, but will dbl check.

theDBguy
post Jun 13 2018, 05:27 PM
Post#6

I'm not holding my breath but still think it's a good idea to try.

Good luck!

projecttoday
post Jun 13 2018, 06:43 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

A progress bar?

stephenAA5
post Jun 13 2018, 06:53 PM
Post#8

Hi, Robert. Never done it. Just to make them feel good, or does it help with the not responding?

projecttoday
post Jun 13 2018, 07:26 PM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

Downloads often have progress bars. You should have encountered one at some point.

stephenAA5
post Jun 14 2018, 03:15 AM
Post#10

I'm not saying I've never seen one in any context, just that I've not implemented one in an access project. Having not done so, I'm unclear as to whether the updating of the project bar has some effect on how Access sees the project functioning, and thereby may or may not affect the "not responding" scenario.

cheekybuddha
post Jun 14 2018, 04:08 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

>> The only real issue is that at some points while queries are running, aspects of a form go grey <<

>> while really it is justifying a ton if work while really it is justifying a ton if work <<

How many queries are running?

How are you initiating them?

From code? Can you show us?

Are the queries integral to what the user is doing at that moment, or could they be set to run in a separate process?

JonSmith
post Jun 14 2018, 04:24 AM
Post#12

Yeah, some more info would be cool.
Does it go grey running a single query or does it go grey when you execute 5 queries in turn after pressing a button?

projecttoday
post Jun 14 2018, 05:52 AM
Post#13

UtterAccess VIP

A progress bar is just a suggestion. I believe progress bars are just for informing the user and have no effect on the process. A progress bar is better than just saying "wait". During execution progress bars are often way off in their timing. I don't even know if it's even possible in Access. Maybe there's some code in the archive for one.

JonSmith
post Jun 14 2018, 05:58 AM
Post#14

I use progress bars all the time in MSAccess.
I have a class that manages the progress bar itself making it super easy to use and also can output progress to a rich text box log with colour coding.
It also uses a stopwatch class to have an accurate timer for each step in a process.

It doesn't use anything especially fancy. It has an empty label for a progressbar 'container' and another that has a backfill of blue as the 'indicator'. The indicators width is just set based on the percentage of progress done. Its simple and effective.
This post has been edited by JonSmith: Jun 14 2018, 05:59 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Capture.PNG ( 19.51K )Number of downloads: 2

projecttoday
post Jun 14 2018, 06:15 AM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

What do you generally use them for? Reporting when you're searching or reading a lot of data?

JonSmith
post Jun 14 2018, 06:18 AM
Post#16

Any process that takes more than a few seconds. Research has shown users get frustrated at lack of feedback for any process that takes longer than a few seconds.

So in this context its about importing data into the database, it also has export functionality.
I also think its really important in terms of providing logging about what is going on. If I have 10 files to import for example and one hits an error that will be indicated in red in the log.

DT_madness
post Jun 14 2018, 08:54 AM
Post#17

We use both pop up message forms telling user what step in the process it's on and progress bars. As far as the Not Responding goes it's my understanding Access is still running fine but it's not really accepting keystroke functions at the moment. Hence sometimes it'll ask you to close or let the program finish.

stephenAA5
post Jun 15 2018, 11:58 AM
Post#18

Here is a sample of when it stops responding. The queries are running in the background, but it's just an interface issue. At this point, the user has made some selections in a popup form. There is still a "base" form open in the background. The popup has a caption that changes to show the user progress. Unfortunately, after only about 3 seconds, the "not responding" begins, the screen may grey or white out until the queries are complete. I've tried changing the popup in the middle, but what happens is it has stopped responding after the first query, never makes the change, and starts the second one.

There are no other programs open on the machine competing for resources. I'm running an i7/16GB, so shouldn't be hitting a wall with horsepower. I'd love to flip this query into a SP on MySQL, but it needs to be a local table, as many users may be doing a similar function at the same time.

SC

CODE:
------------------------------------------------
'change wait form to show progress

Forms!waitoptimizing.Command290.Caption = "Cleaning up a few things"
Forms!waitoptimizing.Refresh

'insert optimized calls into routeviewertable

strSQL = " INSERT INTO routeviewertable (drivername, jobid, sequenceday, arrivaltime, finishtime )" & _
"SELECT drivername, jobid, sequenceday, arrivaltime, finishtime " & _
"FROM routetable;"
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL

'insert NOT OPTIMIZED calls into routeviewertable

strSQL2 = "INSERT INTO routeviewertable (jobid, drivername)" & _
"SELECT jobnumber, 'NOT OPTIMIZED' " & _
"FROM visittable;"
DoCmd.RunSQL strSQL2

---------------------------------------------

zaxbat
post Jun 15 2018, 12:50 PM
Post#19

Your SQL calls do not look complex or complicated.....no reason they should be taking very long unless you are dealing with HUGE tables (which we cannot see from your post).
Are you running frontend/backend? And is it on a wireless network?

stephenAA5
post Jun 15 2018, 01:27 PM
Post#20

Hi. Yes, it's FE/BE, as the BE is MySQL. The local tables, however, are not BE. They're temp only, so I kept them in the DB.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th October 2018 - 06:35 AM