UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excel Workbook Opens In "wrong" Monitor, Office 2013    

bakersburg9
post Jun 13 2018, 05:58 PM
Post#1

For several months, I've been opening Excel workbooks while already in Excel on my right monitor, and the newly-opened workbook opens in the right monitor, which is what I want - I haven't changed any settings, and now, in the middle of the day, for some odd reason, the workbooks I open are opening up in the left monitor - I did some research, and everything is complicated, and dealing with the register, it's a thing MS won't fix, and having to do with the primary and secondary monitor

any ideas ?
Go to the top of the page

tina t
post Jun 13 2018, 08:44 PM
Post#2

the whole dual monitor thing confuses the heck out of me - as a user. at my job everybody was getting two monitors on their desks, and i refused, for several years. finally i told the IT manager that he could only give me a second monitor if he gave me a second PC. so now i have two PCs/monitors, and switch my one keyboard and mouse between them all day long. it's great!

that doesn't solve your problem programmatically, but we could call it "thinking outside the [one] box"... lol :) tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

JonSmith
post Jun 14 2018, 02:40 AM
Post#3

Tina, be opened minded. Two monitors is the best. I despise using one monitor now. Don't be stubborn and not try it just to be stubborn. Give it a chance and if you still don't like it then ok. At least you tried it.
Consider it just for this, you can have your code on one screen, your UI on the other. Its really useful to have the extra real estate.

@bakersburg9
Can you link to the registry stuff? I'm pretty handy at editing the registry now so might be able to interpret how difficult it is for you?

DT_madness
post Jun 14 2018, 09:01 AM
Post#4

Hey, Tina.

I too fought haring two monitors for a long time. When I finally "upgraded" I realized the benefit of having the code on one screen and the db on another. That became so wonderful I hated using my laptop screen. I just recently got a 34" curved Dell and am still using my other 2 so it's like I have four monitors now. One has email, another has our batch jobs, and the big main 34" can show code and app. It is a glorious thing.

--------------------
I'm very optimistic about my pessimism.

bakersburg9
post Jun 14 2018, 09:59 AM
Post#5

So what you all are saying is "REBOOT," haha... maybe that will fix my dilemma
steve

nuclear_nick
post Jun 14 2018, 10:04 AM
Post#6

Not only do I have two monitors, one 'swivels' to 'legal pad' view, so I code in that one, read long email, etc...

Still have nothing on my sister, who works for PD as a dispatcher and 991 operator... 6-7 monitors, 3 keyboards... it's quite a station.

And to remain on topic... I've found little that behaves like I want it to. Outlook and Access (main) do alright. The code window opens where and how it wants, Excel does the same, and IE... we won't discuss. I just deal with it.
This post has been edited by nuclear_nick: Jun 14 2018, 10:06 AM

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

tina t
post Jun 14 2018, 12:06 PM
Post#7

but guys, i DO have two monitors! and programs always open in the monitor i expect them to! and best of all, for me, is that i can run two Access applications at the same time, with no conflicts or issues. hmm, maybe y'all should try a third (and fourth?) monitor and a second box...you might find that you've been missing out! ;) tina

--------------------
"the wheel never stops turning"

isladogs
post Jun 14 2018, 01:13 PM
Post#8

I'm a big fan of using dual monitors and if I had room would add a third.
However, when saving Access apps (and I assume Excel worksheets also), it is worth realising they 'remember' the monitor on which they were last used/saved.

So if you open an Access app on the primary monitor, drag the startup form to the secondary monitor, save and close, next time it will open on the secondary monitor.
Whilst easily reversed, it's a problem if you distribute your app to people with a single monitor or on a laptop as they won't see the start up form. It's off screen.
To fix that, they need to open it in design view and save, then open it normally.

--------------------
nil illigetimi carborundem est

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th August 2018 - 10:22 AM