UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sudden Appearance Of "unrecognised Database Error" Messages, Access 2016    

Louverril
post Jul 10 2018, 11:36 AM
Post#1

Two of my customers are suddenly getting "Unrecognised Database Error" messages. These on 2 systems that were fine before (one was a slightly changed version - but only very very minor - just some text on a form).

I suspect some change in windows setup ?? Or could it be an anti virus system interfering - one of the customers suspects this?

I have checked and running the exact same front end accdb file on my own system work's fine.

Also (in the case of the one with the very slightly altered version) running the older version against their own live data still works - so I don't think it is as simple as corruption.

Has anybody had any problems recently with windows updates or with anti virus programs?

Many thanks.

--------------------
Cheers!

Allyson
UK North Yorkshire / North East
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 10 2018, 03:00 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Yes, this is possible. See this article. Does it apply to YOUR problem perhaps?
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: Jul 10 2018, 03:01 PM
Reason for edit: oopsie.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

Corky
post Jul 10 2018, 03:50 PM
Post#3

The last (3) weeks I have had (5) client calls about getting the 'Unrecognized Database..." error.
In the previous (17) years I have only had (2) client calls with this error.
Somewhat troubling but in all cases the database was only marked as corrupt and running compact repair on the BE database corrected the issue with no data lose.
I suspect that a recent windows update is messing with some network drivers or settings. Our clients all use split Access applications, FE installed on the users PC and BE database on a server.
I had found that when clients first began using Windows 10 some client setups needed to utilize a UNC path vs mapped drive to the BE data as the clients using mapped drives were being randomly disconnected.
In these instances though they never experienced the 'Unrecognized Database..." error, they just had to close the application and then open it again. Maybe it was just timing with doing a write to the BE but I suspect that these recent errors are the result of yet another update, OS revision. I had looked into the Mapped drive disconnect error and found that there is a registry setting that can have the OS recreate the mapped drives vs refresh them periodically during a work session. If the the registry is set to recreate them, MS Access, the 'Canary in Coalmine' disconnects each time? This paralleled the issue that the Windows 10 mapped drive users were experiencing, disconnecting ever 15+- minutes or so I was told. The recent errors are are on client systems that are also using mapped drive to the BE database vs a UNC path.

I don't know if this is any help...

Cork Shunk
CS-Graphx

isladogs
post Jul 10 2018, 07:43 PM
Post#4

The problem also reappeared after the Windows 10 version 1803 update

See also this article by Daniel Pineault : https://www.devhut.net/2018/06/13/access-bu...ognized-format/
The article also gives links for two workrounds

--------------------
nil illigetimi carborundem est

Louverril
post Jul 11 2018, 04:41 AM
Post#5

Wow!

Many many thanks for your help. At least I have an idea of why its happening.

Do you know how to find out when it is fixed? Daft question maybe but just realised I don't know how to do this....

--------------------
Cheers!

Allyson

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 11 2018, 07:31 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Check the references linked for suggestions on how to implement work-arounds.

Check back at the Microsoft sites for updates.

We watch these things here, but the "official" status is at MS sites.

--------------------
My Real Name Is George. Grover Park Consulting is where I do business.
How to Ask a Good Question
Beginning SQL Server
Visit My Blog on Facebook

DanielPineault
post Jul 11 2018, 07:32 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

It's been over a month and we are still waiting to hear anything official from Microsoft on the subject. Your guess is as good as mine as to when we might see an official fix.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Louverril
post Jul 11 2018, 09:20 AM
Post#8

Thank you very much Daniel and George - I will keep checking.

--------------------
Cheers!

Allyson

DanielPineault
post Aug 7 2018, 09:21 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

According to what I've been told, they (Microsoft) believe the issue originated with a flawed Windows update (not office update, so it isn't specifically related to build 1803) and believe that it has since been resolved by a later July Windows update. (notice the frequent use of the word believe!) So according to this updating Windows should resolve the issue?

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Louverril
post Aug 7 2018, 07:53 PM
Post#10

Thank you very much for letting me know Daniel! hat_tip.gif

That makes sense. I haven't heard any complaints lately since the most problematic customers network support were informed. So I presume they have been making sure that Windows is up to date.

I can't be any more proactive with that customer - strange set up. But I will be doing an audit in a couple of weeks so I will find out the exact situation.

The other customer has a better network support and they have had a lot of access database updates from me too - and for them definitely no further issues since around the 11th July

--------------------
Cheers!

Allyson

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    24th September 2018 - 12:40 AM