UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Importing Csv To SQL Via Access, SQL Server 2012    

ry94080
post Sep 11 2017, 10:59 AM
Post#1

Hi all,

I receive a daily CSV export out of our information system for reporting purposes. Because importing this into SQL via Access/ODBC connection is so slow, I have been MANUALLY running a BULK INSERT query in SQL Server.

I was hoping to automate this process, which I believe I can do. I just don't know if there is an efficient or fast way to import this data from Access into SQL Server and have it not take so long. The data file is pretty big, but when I do it via BULK Insert in SSMS, it is pretty fast.

Any ideas on how I can run something similar to a bulk insert statement from Access so that I can automate this process?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 11 2017, 12:09 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

It's been a while since I did this, but the general idea would be to set up a job in SQL Server to o the bulk insert, and a stored proc to run that job as needed.

Then you can call the stored proc in a pass-thru query in Access.

--------------------

AlbertKallal
post Sep 11 2017, 12:54 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I suggest you try using a recordset.

Assuming you were importing the CSV table into Access, and then doing a append query?

You could do a test with a recordset – they often are faster in this case.

Quite sure SSMS would be the fastest, but above could be a “middle” compromise in terms of ease of use.

Another approach would be to have Access “copy” the csv file to a location that resides on the SQL server machine. You then execute a pass-through command to import that CSV.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

ry94080
post Sep 11 2017, 02:40 PM
Post#4

Hi Albert,

Do you have an example of doing this with a recordset? Just need somewhere to start.

Thanks

MadPiet
post Sep 18 2017, 04:13 PM
Post#5

Why not use BULK INSERT statement to do it, or use SSIS and create a job for it and run it in the middle of the night?

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    25th September 2017 - 10:16 AM