UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jobs?    

nuclear_nick
post Dec 14 2017, 06:49 AM
Post#1

Did the 'jobs' forum go away? I thought there was a forum for them.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.
Go to the top of the page

JonSmith
post Dec 14 2017, 07:09 AM
Post#2

I think ghubbell has been doing alot of housekeeping lately to remove anything that wouldn't be useful to anyone searching for help in the future. (Correct me if I'm wrong admins).
It wouldn't surprise me if all the old searching for job threads got removed as why keep em and maybe they decided the entire section could go. I don't think it got used much?

JS

Larry Larsen
post Dec 14 2017, 08:02 AM
Post#3

UA Editor + Utterly Certified

Hi

I have had a look back at some old editor's post's but can't find any reference to the removal of the forum..

I can only think it may have been a casualty of the last make over UA had couple of years ago..

Are you wanting to post some thing up..??

As a temporary forum use the "Chat"..
thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Time...We have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein"
H. Jackson Brown

nuclear_nick
post Dec 14 2017, 08:18 AM
Post#4

More the other way... Seeing what trouble I can get into. Offer services. Maybe I just need a site of my own. I haven't actively sought work in almost 25 years.

I don't want to trouble anyone... else. smile.gif

Thank you for checking, anyway.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 14 2017, 08:50 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

I believe I recall that decision by the group. It was based on low usage and the feeling that maintaining it was more work than it was worth. In general terms, how long should a job offer be left "active"? One week, one month, two years? Could we require people posting jobs be responsible for follow up when filling it? And so on. All in all, given the infrequent usage, we came to the consensus that it was not our strong suit, and let it go.

Others may have different recollections of the exact discussion that led up to it, but I think that's the gist.

--------------------

nuclear_nick
post Dec 14 2017, 08:54 AM
Post#6

Seeing that I didn't notice until now... I can agree/abide. It's not coloring my decision to continue to help/use the site.

uarulez2.gif

There are other ways, after all, and we have our favorites. tongue.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 14 2017, 09:15 AM
Post#7

UA Admin

Being retired, I only take work from long-time clients who are also old and too set in their ways to change now.

So, for me, it's been a moot point for a while. But, as you say, there are sites which specialize in jobs and in gigs, so there are lots of options I would think. Options better prepared to handle the paperwork aspect of it.

--------------------

ghubbell
post Dec 14 2017, 06:13 PM
Post#8

UA Administrator

Hi Nick,
I'd say it's been about 3 years - maybe more... we pulled a 'resumes' forum (work wanted) and a 'jobs' (person(s) needed) forum. They were stagnant and outdated and the rest that George mentioned pretty much covers it.

Jon, actually that's not entirely accurate. Housekeeping is done all the time, not just of late and not just by myself. All Admins and Moderators move around here with eyes open and some of the 'chores' we all end up doing are (thankfully) somewhat automatic. General objective is to try to keep the forums free of redundant, out of place, inappropriate and less than constructive posts.

And if anyone wants a forum like 'jobs' / 'resumes' <whatever> created or recreated, just ask and if the majority here (including members who may participate in the discussion) feel it's a worthy change, we would make it so.

HTH!

Gord

JonSmith
post Dec 15 2017, 06:42 AM
Post#9

Fair enough, its more accurate for me to say I have recently become aware of the housekeeping more than I was before.

JS

nuclear_nick
post Dec 15 2017, 06:43 AM
Post#10

Since I only caught it now, I'd say, again... not all that important. smile.gif

There were times I felt like people would ask for their 'project' to be done for them, as in they were here for the 'do it for me' instead of 'teach me to fish', and it was easy to say, "Go post in this forum." That hasn't happened in a while, though.

I do thank you all for your prompt replies. I'll say again and again...
uarulez2.gif

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    19th February 2018 - 02:48 PM