UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannot Change The Design, Minimum Required Version, Access 2010    

mempie
post Jul 31 2017, 03:29 PM
Post#1

I use Access 2010 to build an application that my client has been opening as an .accdb using Access 2007. When they finally followed my suggestion and tried to build an .accde (after using the linked table manager to point the front end to wherever the back end is on their network), it said:

The Microsoft Office Access database engine cannot change the design of (a path on their network)\Database.mdb.
The minimum required version to change the design is 14.0.0000.0000.

I note that the error message specifies "Database.mdb" and not "Database.accdb", which I find odd. I asked them to open a module and compile, and they did so without errors, so they said. They also did a compact/repair. I had done one before I sent it to them, anyhow. I can't think of anything very version-specific in all my VBA code. The only embedded macros I recall are the usual form-opening and form-closing ones you get when you use the button wizard to make these sorts of buttons.

I don't know when they will upgrade (before 10/10/2017, one hopes). I cannot easily get my hands on Access 2007 here. What shall we try next?
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Jul 31 2017, 06:31 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

It is a good rule of thumb to do ALL work with the same version (e.g. 2007 or 2010 or 2013, etc.) as your end users have. It is also true that once you've made changes in an accdb with a later version of Access, earlier versions often--if not always--have trouble with them afterwards. In this case, you've done something in this accdb with Access 2010 which is not compatible with compiling it into an accde with Access 2007. What's done is done.

If the accdb does work for them, though, you can try having them rename it to accdR. That isn't the same thing, but it does cause Access to run it using the Runtime environment, which may be useful in this scenario.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th November 2017 - 12:12 PM