UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Filtering A Subform, Access 2016    

ccman69
post Oct 10 2017, 08:15 AM
Post#1

I have a parent form [FrmDealerServices]. On that form is a combo box [CboStoreServices]. As well, on the parent form is the subform [Dealers with selected services]. The combo box contains data such as "Cabinet Design", "Delivery", "Screen Repair", "Lamp Repair"...

The subform contains around 150 dealers and a different column for each service. Each column has a checkbox to show if a store provides that service.

My goal is to filter all the stores in the subform that matches the service provided in the combo box on the parent form. If I select "Cabinet Design" in the combo box, then the subform only shows the stores that provide the service "Cabinet Design".

I am sure this is possible and probably very simple. I'm just not getting it.

Thank you.

--------------------
ccman69
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Oct 10 2017, 08:55 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Unfortunately, your description reveals an inappropriate table design behind the form.

"...a different column for each service."

This is what we refer to as a "spreadsheet-style" table because it is based on the same layout you are forced to use in an Excel spreadsheet. It is also called a "repeating group" because the individual fields repeat the same category of data, encoded into the names of the fields.

This type of table design is NOT appropriate for a relational database, which is what Access is.

Please invest some time learning more about normalization--which is the process of designing appropriate relational tables for a database.

Then, redesign the tables appropriately. The result will be very simple to filter as you want, unlike the current design.

--------------------

mike60smart
post Oct 12 2017, 10:06 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Hi

As George has said it sounds like wrong table design.

Can you upload a zipped copy of the Db??

--------------------
Hope this helps?

Mike

Get happiness out of your work or you may never know what happiness is.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2017 - 07:29 PM