UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Security On Access To Sharepoint Backend, Access 2013    

bobalston
post Jul 15 2017, 02:46 PM
Post#1

1)When you link Access to Sharepoint lists, as the back end to the Access application, can you specify a SharePoint login and password that is different than the user would normally use for their interactive Sharepoint work? I am thinking about setting the Access tables/lists in a Sharepoint subsite that has permissions allowing only a unique login & password to access it. Other users of the rest of the Sharepoint site would not be able to even see the lists used by Access.

To do this I need to set the Access link to Sharepoint to use this special Id/password.

Will this work? Does Access cache the Sharepoint login and password somewhere?

2) If #1 is workable, it would be even better if you could set at run-time the Sharepoint login/password so spying software could not find it in the Access FE. Possible?
If so, exactly how.

Thanks

Bob
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jul 15 2017, 03:07 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Bob,

I think it's possible to use a generic login as long as SharePoint Server is configured to have it because the generic account will have to be created in the server. Not sure if it's still available but used to be, you can configure SharePoint to use either Active Directory or Forms Authentication. With forms authentication, you can specify a generic username and password.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

bobalston
post Jul 15 2017, 03:16 PM
Post#3

TheDNguy: that is not exactly what I am looking for. But thanks.

nvogel
post Jul 16 2017, 05:05 AM
Post#4

It's a bad idea and unnecessary. You can assign permissions on a per-user basis within Sharepoint. If you assign permissions only to the users who need to access your data then you won't need another login and password. Attempting to hide login credentials inside a desktop application makes you more vulnerable, not more secure, and is generally considered very poor practice.

bobalston
post Jul 17 2017, 02:15 PM
Post#5

Let me ask another way, my basic question:

Is there a way to store with Access the user logon and password for access to the Sharepoint lists in a way that does not allow an interactive user to use that logon/password to access Sharepoint?

Bob

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    23rd October 2017 - 11:10 PM