UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2016 And Sharepoint, Any Version    

WildBird
post Nov 23 2017, 06:49 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

Hi All,

Question regarding hosting a database on SharePoint. I know very little of SharePoint, and having issues with even connecting to it from my laptop. Access is 2016 version.

I had a normal file based database, split front end and back end. Have a ini file that lists the name of the backend database, and path. A number of users using it and all works fine. Fairly basic stuff. Now been made aware that the database is to be made available to others, but they are on a different network, so we tried sharepoint. I have never hosted a database before on SharePoint, but we tried a few machines, and got it to connect. All we did was copy the backend to SharePoint, and then instead of have a UNC path in the ini file, I changed it to the path of SharePoint, just took the https: off. Eg. BEPath=//sp.XXXXXXXXX/corporate/PMO/Transition/Shared Documents/Placement DB/ - Points to sharepoint
\\XXXXX\data\PeopleAndSafety-BPImplementation\Group 4 Placement Process NEW LIVE MODEL\XXXXXX\ - Points to Network - this is what we are currently using, and works fine.

All clients have full version of Access running - no web based MS Access etc, just full desktop version.

Anyway, issue we found is that we could enter data into the sharepoint database, and all working fine. What seems to be the issue is that data isn't writing back if more than one person is connected. User A logins in makes an entry and shuts down. User B opens up and sees User A's entry. User A logs in and makes new entries, and at same time user B logs in and makes new entries, and it seems that they can see their own data changes, but not those of others. Is there something that I am overlooking?

I am hoping that the only changes I have to make are in the .ini file and point it to sharepoint, not a UNC network path.

Cheers!

--------------------
Beer, natures brain defragging tool.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Nov 23 2017, 07:57 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

If you enter your company's SharePoint URL on a browser and able to see your database file in a Document Library, then your current connection/setup is misleading you.

On the other hand, if you cannot see your database file in a SharePoint Document Library; but instead, you were able to enter a UNC path in Windows Explorer to see your database file (BE) on your company's SharePoint server farm, then you'll be okay.

However, based on the problem you're having, my guess is you more than likely have the first configuration described above, which means, it won't work as you expected.

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

RobKoelmans
post Nov 24 2017, 07:42 AM
Post#3

Hi Wildbird,
If I understand right, you have an ms-access accdb/mdb that has linked tables to another accdb/mdb that you used to have on a shared file folder on your office network, you uploaded this other accdb/mdb to a SharePoint Document folder, have that document folder available as a shared folder in your windows file explorer to reconnect from the accdb/mdb that your users open?

I can't imagine this to work. SharePoint has provided for concurrent usage of Word and Excel file but I'm almost certain this is not a realistic scenario (I haven't been paying attention the past 10, 12 years on this, but it wasn't working for sure in the past).

The first thing that would come into my mind, is migrate the data to SQL-server first. This had some issues in the past due to the fact that SQL-server created an record-id after finishing creating the record (an Access at the beginning). Microsoft had a dedicated odbc-driver that solved a number of issues that were caused by that (but not everything). So you may have to redesign some functionality in your functional accdb/mdb

Kind regards,
Rob

WildBird
post Nov 28 2017, 01:39 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Hi again,

Sorry, been very busy and unable to reply.

So, for lessons learnt. We could connect to sharepoint list, and was fast, and could see changes etc straight away, if we hit refresh or did anything causing refresh. Issues was sharepoint has its own ID field, and we had some issue that it wouldn't write to 1 table for some reason, but if you opened it up first, then it would allow an insert (Had to write code to open the table, .MoveLast, .MoveFirst, then close it etc and worked.). Other code had to be changed, and some forms became readonly etc with sharepoint.

While finding this out there was a meeting with manager and IT, and looks like we actually can connect domains and can get SQL Server (soon, in future) - so many changes going on here that it is very hard to find out what is available, and most of us are very new, so dont know who we need to talk to, and business needs work done ASAP, so no time for testing etc :-) So at this stage we are hoping to have all users able to see a network drive and I have front end updater etc, so will be very keen to get SQL Server working ASAP. Sharepoint list is just a strange one. Might be able to use it for another small project here though, will see.

Anyway, its past beer oclock here. Thanks for all input.

--------------------

WildBird
post Nov 28 2017, 01:43 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

DBGuy, I had a change of laptop - and had written a reply, but didnt get through. Sorry, dont like not replying!

RobKoelmans, just to clear it up, it was sharepoint lists, not sharepoint document. We had the file on sharepoint at one stage, and could get it to work, but had concurrency issues or something. Slow updates etc. Lists much faster, but issues with ID fields and others.

Cheers,

--------------------

theDBguy
post Nov 28 2017, 02:15 AM
Post#6

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

No worries. Good luck with the upcoming change.

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

RobKoelmans
post Nov 28 2017, 12:09 PM
Post#7

Hi Wildbird,
Is see. You use a SharePoint List as a table. That's more for having read access to information in SharePoint than an alternative for a shared table in another mdb or link to SQL-table. Success with the SQL-link when it gets available for you.
Kind regards
Rob

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 04:37 PM