UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bad / Invalid Characters, Access 2010    

Brepea
post Feb 12 2018, 02:38 AM
Post#1

Hi All

Is there a way to go through an entire table and look through a field (either using VBA or query) to simply say something like:
CODE
"If [FieldName] has bad characters, "Yes","")

Then once established these are "bad rows of data" - a separate query to update/replace/remove those records (but i guess i'm talking about a lot of records here (i hope) - so i could just go through each one manually once the records are identified...?

Thanks in advance
Go to the top of the page

moke123
post Feb 12 2018, 04:52 AM
Post#2

crossposted here

kfield7
post Feb 12 2018, 10:17 AM
Post#3

I would consider 1 of 2 methods:

1. Define what are "bad characters" in a string, and have code in the query look for (use Instr) each character within the "bad" string in the field for each record.
2. Define what are "good characters" in string, and have code compare character in the field for each record to determine if it's a good character.

The best approach may depend on several things...

Is the "bad" list shorter than the "good" list? (I would think so). This would favor approach 1.

Does a single instance of a "bad character" invalidate the whole records? (this may favor approach 1, but...)
--Are there some "bad characters" that can be managed/replaced/removed without invalidating the whole record? (this may require a re-check after "managing" the record.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    21st June 2018 - 12:37 PM