UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Login Form - Password Only, Access 2010    

redpenner
post Oct 10 2017, 03:48 PM
Post#1

I have a password-protected accdb (split) and when my users open it, they are prompted for the database password but otherwise do not log in with their username. This is serving our needs security-wise, but I'm wondering if I can create a nicer looking password prompt than the tiny box and text that comes up. Everything I find online about a login form is focused on usernames and multiple passwords - I need something with a password only. I'm assuming it would run out of an autoexec, but don't have any idea how to implement it.

Are there some instructions online somewhere that just deal with a simple 1-password login?
This post has been edited by redpenner: Oct 10 2017, 03:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

doctor9
post Oct 10 2017, 03:59 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

redpenner,

Here's an idea:

1. Create a new unbound form, and name it "frmPassword".
2. Add a Textbox control and a label control. Name the textbox "txtPassword".
3. Set the label caption to something like "Enter Password:"
4. In the AfterUpdate event of the textbox, use code along these lines:

CODE
If Me.txtPassword = "LetMeIn" Then
    DoCmd.OpenForm "Switchboard"
    DoCmd.Close acForm, "frmPassword"
Else
    Beep
End If

"Switchboard" is the name of the form you want the users to see if they successfully enter the password.

5. Add a command button, just in case the user can't remember the password and wants to exit. For the Click event, use Application.Quit.

This is bare bones, but it sounds like that's what you want.

EDIT: I forgot to mention; make frmPassword the form that opens by default, and set it to PopUp or Modal.

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

redpenner
post Oct 10 2017, 04:18 PM
Post#3

Awesome! I will try that. I actually already have a switchboard form in place, so it should be pretty smooth going.

Thank you!

redpenner
post Oct 10 2017, 04:59 PM
Post#4

It is coming up all right, but the "native" password prompt is still coming up first.

doctor9
post Oct 11 2017, 09:22 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

redpenner,

I thought you were looking for a replacement for the database's password protection. Can you clarify what you need?

Dennis

--------------------
(;,;) Li'l Cthulu says: Please talk about what you're trying to do, as well as how you're doing it.
Changing your real table name to "Table1" and your real form name to "Form1" in your posts makes it more difficult to understand what's going on, not easier.
Guidelines for Posting Questions

DanielPineault
post Oct 11 2017, 09:32 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

There is no way to override/customize the Database password prompt. Your only option would be to remove the password from the database and create your own security model (you can make it as simple or complex as you see fit) and use a prompt such as the one provided by Denis.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...

redpenner
post Oct 11 2017, 10:02 AM
Post#7

Oh okay, that does answer my question. Thanks!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th October 2017 - 06:15 AM