UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Run Scripts - Notify Users Via Outlook, Access 2010    

Brepea
post Oct 11 2018, 09:20 AM
Post#1

Hi All - i'm not sure this is possible - I've certainly not required this functionality in the past.

I have a situation where I need to think about creating some kind of automated message from my Access application to alert users of - well "whatever alerts & notifications they 'sign-up' for. i.e. users don't want to have to open the Access Application to be able to view important things, they essentially want to be notified by email - which then will prompt them to open the application and make required updates.

Example:
User may have several important due dates on tasks over the year. 2 weeks before the due dates - they'd like to get a reminder in the Outlook to 'remind' them their task is shortly due (and there could be multiple (and sometimes custom alert dates (so a user can decide to receive an alert 1 week instead of two weeks and so on)).

The obvious approach (for me) is:
a) Create new table: t_StaffAlerts with fields: [alert_Type FK], [staff_id FK], [rec_alerts] (y/n), [alert_Type*], [date_lastRecAlert] (date)
b) Create new table: t_AlertType: [*alertID PK], [alert_Type] (text), [active] (y/n))
c) create queries for various scenarios

Once all in place - I would usually have an Access form show alert types on ComboBox and then user can select the alert type and click a cmdButton to run a report to view his/her alerts. I need to somehow - get the output to a user without anyone using Access - so i'm not sure this is possible; but think it could be if this was an admin role for and Access admin user - then they can access the form click cmdButton and press another cmdButton to send an email to all users (this part i can manage and know how to deal with this from within Access) - but the need/requirement is to be able to do this without any user intervention - is that possible?

Thanks
This post has been edited by Brepea: Oct 11 2018, 09:50 AM
Go to the top of the page

nuclear_nick
post Oct 11 2018, 09:35 AM
Post#2

The way I do it?

Cheat.

Ahem. Anyway... what my department uses is a computer with a database running 24/7, cycling through times to do stuff, and sending out stuff as required when it checks the 'timetable'.

So that's one method.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Brepea
post Oct 11 2018, 09:56 AM
Post#3

mmhh - interesting thought!

I wouldn't know how to setup a "continuous 24/7" database....although no harm making this an admin "must do" task each morning (but i imagine it'll just be "another task for someone to do, but what if they forget" comment) - but i guess there is a point there - what if the admin is sick for the day or simply forgets to login...? I don't think I can setup a separate 24/7 application....

...but if I was able to - would you just setup an Event Handler on a form's OnTimer event to check queries which tick a box to send alerts to people? i.e. if a user's frequency for alerts is 1 week and last sent date was 5 days ago - don't send otherwise send to user?
This post has been edited by Brepea: Oct 11 2018, 09:57 AM

nuclear_nick
post Oct 11 2018, 10:16 AM
Post#4

CODE
...but if I was able to - would you just setup an Event Handler on a form's OnTimer event to check queries which tick a box to send alerts to people? i.e. if a user's frequency for alerts is 1 week and last sent date was 5 days ago - don't send otherwise send to user?

Yes on the event handler. However you need to program the events... up to you.

I'm working on overhauling our 'event system' currently is how I thought of it.

--------------------
"Nuclear" Nick
The top three reasons to hide code; 1) It's not your own. 2) It's your own, but it's so crappy you don't want anyone to see it. 3) The comments in your code would get you in a lot of trouble if ever made public.

Brepea
post Oct 11 2018, 10:30 AM
Post#5

Does anyone else have any other methods?

Brepea
post Oct 12 2018, 09:39 AM
Post#6

Anyone?

Custom Search

RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2018 - 08:18 PM