UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2nd Backend For Access Database, Access 2010    

SemiAuto40
post Apr 11 2017, 01:18 PM
Post#1

I apologize in advance for asking this question (in case it is terribly stupid). I have a split Access db where the back end is stored on a network shared folder that our I.T. department has designed permissions so that select users are able to use the database. Now I am using Visual Studio to craft a simple Windows app to connect to the back end, query tbl_Main, and display the results inside a datasheet style list.

*The problem is... now everyone on the network is supposed to use this new Windows app - BUT most do not have user permissions to view the folder where the back end is parked.

I really don't want to have to go into the existing Access Front Ends wherever they may be to update the linked table manager to tbl_Main.
Placing the back end on a company wide accessible folder seems like it would be less secure, and therefore less desirable.

Thoughts, solutions????

Thank you all.
This post has been edited by SemiAuto40: Apr 11 2017, 01:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

ScottGem
post Apr 11 2017, 01:27 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

Try giving users read/write/modify rights to the folder, but only read rights to the file.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

nvogel
post Apr 11 2017, 01:38 PM
Post#3

Have you considered using a different DBMS for your back-end database? It's hard to manage role-based permissions with an Access database but it's very easy with SQL Server, Oracle, PostgreSQL, etc.

SemiAuto40
post Apr 11 2017, 02:16 PM
Post#4

A problem is that the folder where the back end is located is a sub folder of a folder where the company does not want access to read or open. Seems this sub-folder permissioning would be a lot of trouble to set for 100+ users.
I have considered a different back end like SQL Server but do not have the time resources to change it over. I have been using this database as it is for 10 years. I was hoping there was another way than going into all of the code to see where specific references to the back end location point to my secure folder and changing it all in order to move the back end to the slightly less secure folder.

Is there any reason why I could not have a small Database2 and tbl_Main which has a link to Database1 tbl_Main. Perhaps Database2 would reflect the up to date contents of Database1 tbl_Main, and this Windows app using Database2 for a data source.

tina t
post Apr 11 2017, 02:28 PM
Post#5

Is there any reason why I could not have a small Database2 and tbl_Main which has a link to Database1 tbl_Main. Perhaps Database2 would reflect the up to date contents of Database1 tbl_Main, and this Windows app using Database2 for a data source.

well, things may have changed with newer versions of Access, but if not, then you can't link to a link. if Database2 has a link to tbl_Main, rather than a native table, Access will only allow you to import a link into your FE database, not link to it. Access only supports a hard link from one database to a native table in another database.

even if you could link to a link, i don't think it would do you any good. a link to a table in another Access db allows you to essentially open that db remotely, to see the contents of its' native table. from a server standpoint, you still need appropriate permissions to the folder where the file-holding-the-native-table resides.

hth
tina

--------------------
"you can't take the sky from me"

ScottGem
post Apr 11 2017, 03:11 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

Seems this sub-folder permissioning would be a lot of trouble to set for 100+ users.

Actually no. They set read rights to all and r/w/m to a select few.

--------------------
Scott <>
Scottgem's Blog
Microsoft Access MVP since 2007
Author: Microsoft Office Access 2007 VBA

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    27th April 2017 - 11:43 AM