UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Automate Connecting To Back End, Access 2016    

stephenAA5
post Jan 12 2018, 02:14 PM
Post#1

Hello, all. I have a database that I will be distributing for others to use. It will involve a FE and a BE.

In that I do not know where the user's BE will be located, how it will be mapped, I don't know how to set up the tables. I'd rather not have to explain how to get into the guts of things and relink tables. Is there a way to automate that process by providing the user a local table that holds the address/map to the BE, and a procedure which links them properly?

Thank you!

Stephen.
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Jan 12 2018, 02:16 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Stephen,

For something like that, I use J Street's Relinker.

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

stephenAA5
post Jan 12 2018, 06:39 PM
Post#3

Thank you, I'll give it a shot!!

theDBguy
post Jan 12 2018, 10:02 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Good luck!

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Access Website | Access Blog | Email

JonSmith
post Jan 13 2018, 07:42 AM
Post#5

So I use relative paths for my methodology. This was because in my earlier days in healthcare we had no consistency with drive mapping between many departments and users so I switched to UNC paths. The the IT department messed around with the servers without telling us ahead of time so the UNC paths changed!! I was doomed to fail on every turn.

What I eventually did was make the whole relinking relative. So I would always store my FE near to my back end, either in the same folder or a parallel one. My FE would be distributed to the local disk of a user via a vbscript which was also in the same folder as the FE. The vbscript would pass the path itself to the FE copied over to the local disk using the /cmd parameter. The value passed using /cmd is visible in MSAccess using the "Command" object/variable (not sure which it qualifies as).
This means I can use Command to calculate the relative path and it will relink the tables.

Its great to use because it means not only does it always work even if people have different drive mapping but it the servers are migrated and the UNC path changes it all still works and it makes moving between a DTAP (Development environment, Test environment, Acceptance environment, Production environment) really easy since you just copy the files and don't need to change any paths.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th July 2018 - 10:35 PM