UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Popup Form Instead Of A Combobox For Inactive Customers, Employees, Etc.    

projecttoday
post Jun 2 2011, 01:22 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

A common situation: the customers combobox on a transactions form filters out customers which are inactive so users won't select one. This means older records with inactive customers don't display the customer's name. A common solution for this is to test for a new record in the form's on current event and if true, filter out inactive customers. If new record is not true, there is no filtering of the customers in the combobox. The probelm with this is it doesn't allow the user any control over exceptional situations. Attached is a simple example of a popup form used instead of a combobox.
There are 2 tables: transactions and customers. There is one form for the transactions. Instead of a combobox for customers, there is a customer name textbox and a not-visible customerid textbox . The customer id textbox is bound to the customer id in the transactions table and the customer name textbox uses a Dlookup function to lookup the name for the customerid in the customer id textbox. Click on the button next to the customer name textbox to display the customer list popup. Click on the checkbox and display inactive customers. Select a customer from the list and (1) the id is put in the customer id textbox and (2)the customer name is looked up and displayed in the customer name textbox. There is an inactive flag in the customers table. You might do a join against recent orders instead. On my computer there is a slight delay for the display of the customer name when a record is first displayed.
Same idea may be used for inactive employees, products, etc..
Comments and corrections are welcome. It is in Access 2002-2003 format created using Access 2007.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Popupdb.zip ( 21.92K )Number of downloads: 546

Go to the top of the page

tiger3p
post Jun 2 2011, 09:39 AM
Post#2

Hello,
Do you have a version of your sample for MS Access 2000?
I'm looking for something similar. I have a table labeled tblReports containing Reports and its properties.
I would like to have a form where the user can enter when the each report is submitted but it has to be already in the tblReports before they can populate. The user will populate the following fields in the form:
Date Requested
Date Submitted
Date Approved
Approved By
This should populate the table labeled tbl_ReportTracking which contain the following fields:
trck_TrackingID (Autonumber)
trck_ReportID (Number) linked to tblReports ReportID
DateRequested
DateSubmitted
DateApproved
ApprovedBy
Is this possible?

projecttoday
post Jun 2 2011, 10:42 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Attached is the 2000 version. Are you trying to distinguish active reports from inactive reports? If not, a combobox might be all you need.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Popupdb2000.zip ( 24.98K )Number of downloads: 266

projecttoday
post Apr 7 2018, 01:31 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Please note that the e-mail address showing on the form in the attached database is not regularly read. Anyone wishing to contact me can message me on this site.

Robert smile.gif

--------------------
Robert Crouser

My company's website

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th August 2018 - 11:32 AM