UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project Tracking - No Idea Where To Go From Here, Access 2013 Web App    

ccarr1025
post May 17 2017, 01:40 PM
Post#1

I'm trying to set up a project tracker for our company. We work with customers to build and install equipment in their locations. I would like our project managers to be able to put in project details to track start and due dates, contractors we are working with etc. So it's fairly straight forward up to that point and I've decided to build it as a Sharepoint Access Web App.

We have items that we install and each of these items has a certain checklist that needs to be dated as the documents about these items are OK'd by customers and our installers go on site to measure etc. So my thought was to create an items list and use it as a subview inside the project. Again, it works well and looks good. So I show the Items datasheet below the project details.

Where I'm running into trouble is this: We already have quotes for these items created in other software. We can output these quotes as excel files. Is there a way for our project managers to import the data from that excel file directly into the datasheet subview of Items in a particular project in Access Web App?

I assume there may be an way to macro it, but that's out of my depth and I don't want to look too hard into it if it's not possible. I definitely can't copy and paste into the Web App datasheet as it puts it all into the first cell only.

any help or a better way to accomplish this would be great.

Thanks for the help
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post May 17 2017, 02:06 PM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif

You might be able to create a "hybrid" Access database front end where you could import the Excel file into the SQL tables, and they should then show up in the Web App.

Just a thought...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

ccarr1025
post May 17 2017, 03:46 PM
Post#3

Do you have any info on how I could set that up? I imagine if I could get access to the SQL tables directly I could set up juts about any import I desired, I just don't see easy access to them using the Web App.

theDBguy
post May 17 2017, 04:05 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Fellow UA member, Daniel, wrote an article about it once. Check it out here.

Hope it helps...

--------------------
Just my 2 cents... "And if I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know" - Kansas
Microsoft Access MVP | Access Website | Access Blog | Email

OldMike
post May 17 2017, 04:30 PM
Post#5

Hi, have you seen this item Access Web Apps - End of the Road. Unless you're running on a company Sharepoint server there's less than a year left for Access Web Apps.

GroverParkGeorge
post May 18 2017, 07:53 AM
Post#6

UA Admin

Keeping in mind that Access Web Apps will end soon, I'm not sure I'd invest much time here.

Are you using an on-Premises SharePoint server or Office 365? Office 365 AWAs will be removed in April, 2018. That is, support will not only end, the actual databases on SQL Azure will be unavailable. Any data not yet rescued from them will be lost.

Definitely, though, you can link an accdb to the SQL Azure (or--if you are on-prem--SQL Server) tables. From there, implement an import procedure along the lines theDBguy pointed you to.

The simplest way I know to create a local accdb linked to your SQL Azure tables is this:

Attached File  quickaccdb.png ( 40.71K )Number of downloads: 1

You'll then have to obtain the read/write credentials for it, and convert the connection string.

All of which is sort of beside the point, IMO. Start searching for an alternative platform on which to create your app.
This post has been edited by GroverParkGeorge: May 18 2017, 08:01 AM

--------------------

ccarr1025
post May 19 2017, 09:29 AM
Post#7

Thanks for the advice. I was unaware that Office 365 was going to terminate Access Web Apps. Should I try to do this in Access at all or should I go a completely different route in your opinion? Setting this up in Access seems questionable at this point since I need people to have easy access to this database outside of the office so we can update the dates and times. After a cursory glance it seems Microsoft is pushing for users to move to the "power apps" does anyone know before I sink time into that if it would accomplish my needs?

GroverParkGeorge
post May 19 2017, 09:46 AM
Post#8

UA Admin

That is actually two different questions.

1) You can probably find a way to deploy your Access front end with a remote SQL Azure/SQL Server back end or with another strategy, such as Remote Desktop, which supports that sort of processing. More on that below.

2) PowerApps is too immature for me to consider it a viable migration path for an Access application. It IS probably a good alternative for some aspects of an application. And PowerApps enjoys enterprise-level support at Microsoft. That means it probably has more legs as a long term option. However, at this point I could not, in good faith, recommend it as a migration path from Access.

You might find SharePoint to be a viable alternative. It depends on a number of factors.

I didn't see whether you are working with an on-premises SharePoint server, or Office 365. If you have Office 365, the end of AWAs is scheduled for April, 2018. For licensed SP on-premises, it is ~5, or ~10 years out, depending on licensing and versions installed.

What you probably need, I would imagine is a way to expose data for project tracking both to internal network and to remotely connected users. That means a database that you can connect to from remote locations. You have a few options there, including SQL Azure, and a hosting company.

You would then need to recreate an interface for that database. Perhaps in .Net, or even php. Many choices lie in that direction.

Another option would be a Remote DeskTop approach, through which you allow remote users to connect to your network via VPN and work as if they were sitting internally. This has advantages, including performance, over some others.

And, I have to throw Access/SharePoint lists into the mix for your consideration. The size and complexity of the tables involved determine whether SP is a viable option for you.

--------------------

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th November 2017 - 02:41 PM