UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Word Mailmerge, Office 2010    

Brandi
post Feb 6 2018, 03:15 PM
Post#1

I am trying to create some letter templates that have combo boxes tied to access tables.
I don't know the best way to accomplish my task.

I would like a combobox on my Word template that displays statute codes from a table in an Access.accdb file.
How do I get the combobox to grab items from an Access table to populate the combobox? I have the Developer tab and see that I can draw a combobox but from there I am stuck.

Based on the selection from the combobox, I want to populate 3 other fields in my WORD template, that will be tied to the statute in my statute table in Access.
Does WORD allow for multi field comboboxes?

Can someone get me started on this?

Example: My template would be a letter that says "According to Statute " and then a dropdown box where they select a statute number, which also shows a description of the statute, and then more text in the template such as "you are in violation of laws pertaining to the disposal of refuse on your property."

thankyou.
Brandi
This post has been edited by Brandi: Feb 6 2018, 03:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Feb 8 2018, 09:54 AM
Post#2

cant you do it the other way? In an access form, select the item in the combo box(s)
then click a button to open the Word doc?
much easier.

DanielPineault
post Feb 8 2018, 10:47 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

I'd tend to agree. If possible, I'd flip your logic around and have a form in Access where users make the necessary selections and then it does the Mail Merge.

Also, regarding Access and Mail Merges, look over Albert Kallal's Super Easy Mail Merge. It disconnect the data source from the Mail Merge process which is simply brilliant.

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Brandi
post Feb 8 2018, 12:20 PM
Post#4

I did suggest we do this initially in Access and then tie data to a WORD template which is linked to an Access table but my partner who actually met the client, doesn't think this client would be able to handle Access and Word combination.
Apparently not very computer savvy but can use WORD.
I haven't done much with having a data source in WORD itself so I will have to research.
I would want a 4 column combobox in WORD which could have 100 or more items in it.
I didn't see where I could link the items in the combobox to either Excel or Access.
It looks like you have to write a ton of code if you do this all in WORD. Especially if there are lots of items in a dropdown which would be the case in this application.
Possibly over 100 items. (legal Statute numbers)

I did read the article from Albert Kallal (he is brilliant!) as are all of you who help me on UA, but in this case it would still be using Access which my partner wants to stay away from.
Unless I can use Access totally behind the scenes and the user never has to touch it.

Thank you.
Brandi
This post has been edited by Brandi: Feb 8 2018, 12:24 PM

DanielPineault
post Feb 8 2018, 01:20 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I didn't see where I could link the items in the combobox to either Excel or Access.
It looks like you have to write a ton of code if you do this all in WORD. Especially if there are lots of items in a dropdown which would be the case in this application.

I'm not Word Expert, but based on my experience, that sounds correct.

See if this doesn't help: https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/how-do-i/...ng-access-data/

--------------------
Daniel Pineault (2010-2017 Microsoft MVP)
Professional Help: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
Free MS Access Code, Tips, Tricks and Samples: http://www.devhut.net

* Design should never say "Look at me". It should always say "Look at this". -- David Craib
* A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, it's not that good! -- Martin LeBlanc

All code samples, demonstration databases, links,... are provided 'AS IS' and are to be used at your own risk! Take the necessary steps to check, validate ...(you are responsible for your choices and actions)

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    20th February 2018 - 06:41 PM