UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dbfailonerror Clarifications, Access 2003    

whdyck
post Sep 13 2018, 01:52 PM
Post#1

I'm trying to figure out what Execute's option dbFailOnError does. In my testing, when I run Execute, it behaves the same regardless of whether I use option dbFailOnError.

I've read the online documentation regarding this option, but when I test, I find no difference in effect, whether I use this option or not.

Can someone clarify what difference I should be seeing?

Thanks.

Wayne
Go to the top of the page

isladogs
post Sep 13 2018, 02:05 PM
Post#2

CurrentDb.Execute runs with no warning messages.
If it runs successfully there is no difference whether or not you add dbFailOnError.
If the SQL fails for any reason, including dbfailonerror means you will be informed of the error.
Omitting it means you won't know if any error occurred.

--------------------
nil illigetimi carborundem est

whdyck
post Sep 13 2018, 03:11 PM
Post#3

If the SQL fails for any reason, including dbfailonerror means you will be informed of the error.
Omitting it means you won't know if any error occurred.

Not sure I follow.

If I issue the following (erroneous) UPDATE statement, I get the same behaviour whether or not I include the dbFailOnError option:
CODE
CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE tblTest SET fldTestID = 1 WHERE IDD = 0;", dbFailOnError

In both cases code execution redirects to my error-handling block (because I have the statement "On Error GoTo TestOdbcErrorsErr"). And Err.Number is reported as 3061.

Wayne

Kamulegeya
post Sep 14 2018, 12:07 AM
Post#4

To see difference, try an insert of several records in a single select insert into. With dbfailonerror,
If some of the records fail,whole batch is aborted while without it,some of the records are added.
Ronald

JonSmith
post Sep 14 2018, 02:45 AM
Post#5

It might depend on the scope of the error.
For example if you try to use a field or table that doesn't exist then you will always have an error returned.

If you try to add a text value into a numeric or date field then you wont get an error unless the flag is there.

I would advocate keeping it there, the more error info you get the better most of the time.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th September 2018 - 04:15 PM