UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access97 Workgroup Administrator Problem on Installation    

novalis
post Dec 4 2007, 03:05 AM
Post#1

I develop in Access 97 (and many of my clients use Access 97 so I need to stick with it) and have just bought a new Windows XP Pro (version 2002 Service Pack 2) machine. When installing Access 97 from the Office 97 Pro disc I got the message:
etup could not create a system.mdw file. After setup is completed reboot your computer, then run the Workgroup Administrator before running this application.
Oran the Workgroup Administrator and got the message:
CAn error has occurred at changing workgroup database.
I uninstalled and reinstalled Access 97 and got the same result. In fact setup does not create a system.mdw file and I am unable to create one using the Workgroup Administrator. Of course this means that I cannot run Access 97 at all!!
I have done similar installations of Access 97 on other computers running Windows XP and have never seen this problem before.
Any advice?
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Go to the top of the page

kuifjexx
post Dec 4 2007, 06:42 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

After a bit googling I have found this link, maybe it can help you:
Access 97 Install Difficulty on Windows XP - System.mdw
reetz from Belgium compute.gif
Luc aka Kuifjexx

novalis
post Dec 4 2007, 10:12 AM
Post#3

Thank you very much. In fact the problem kept me up last night long (until 2 am Pacific Time) after I posted my question and I did finally solve the problem myself as described below.
After not finding much help on the various sites but seeing that over the years others had had the same problem with Access 97 and Windows XP (although I never had before but the new computer does have 2 GB of RAM if that makes any difference), I thought I had nothing to lose but to try to apply the usual SR-1 and SR 2b patches. SR-1 seemed to apply successfully but SR-2b did not. So, another few hours of research on the Microsoft website until I finally discovered KN article 192816 OFF97: SR-2 patch fails even though SR-1 was installed. I worked my way through this and after applying the procedures A and C I noted that after C (reinstallation of Access 97 and SR-1) that I no longer got the error messages and system.mdw had been created. So my problem was solved without even applying the SR-2 patch. I did continue to apply the SR-2 patch. So all seems to be well.
Odon't know how I missed the link you recommended so thank you for sending it to me and for reference by others who have this problem. Again, I needed to do only step 2 of that link.
Again, thank you Kuifjexx for you quick response.
Susann Novalis

kuifjexx
post Dec 4 2007, 10:43 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Glad to hear that the problem is solved
reetz from Belgium compute.gif
Luc aka Kuifjexx

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 10:23 PM