UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> About Graphics Editors    

argeedblu
post Aug 30 2008, 04:36 AM
Post#1

UA Forum + Wiki Administrator

Since you might use a graphics editor as part of a suite of tools for UI design, I'm curious about what graphics editors people are using.
ecently I wanted to create a gradient strip as a background picture for forms (A2007). I couldn't find a way to easily create on in the tools I had at hand. Surfing for a solution brought me to 'GIMP'. The application seems to have more features than I will ever need and the price is definitely right (GNU licence - free.) GIMP's UI, however, is terrible. (Of course that is just my opinion.) You access features primarily through individual application window that, more often than not open behind other window. So far I have not seen the app use panes within a single window.
Hence, my question. What graphics editor(s) do you use? Please indicate general price level for a full-feature licence and your comments on general funcationality.
Glenn
Go to the top of the page

CyberCow
post Aug 30 2008, 07:47 AM
Post#2

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

I've been using PhotoShop since before it existed. (PhotoShop was originally created by ULead. It was called PhotoStyler.) I currently use and prefer Photoshop 7 - I have CS3 but don't like they way Adobe keeps changing the menus. I got PhotoStyler for $99.00 several years ago and have acquired the continued upgrades (even through the ownership transistions from Aldus to Adobe) at tremendous discounts. Currently, CS3 Extended retailed for $999.00 - What I like most about PS is that I am so familiar with it after all these years and all the plugins that are available for streamlining the creative process. I primarily use PS for my photography, Access graphics work and designs for things I do around the house.

Corel Draw is another graphics tool I have and use. Since 1.0, I have stopped upgrading at 12.0
I like the integrated vector imaging capabilities of Corel Draw and the way fonts manipulate so well in that environment. My first version cost me $79.00 and I contnued to upgrade through ver 12.

I also have and am learning GIMP . I agree with you Glenn - its menu system is closer to user hostile. I like GIMP's price and wildly new and interesting plugins. The Droste-Effect is simply awesome.

argeedblu
post Aug 30 2008, 07:53 AM
Post#3

Thanks for that Mark.
It is the retail price that puts photoshop out of my reach. I should have mentioned that I have used Paint Shop Pro for my photo and graphics needs til now. However the product I don't find that product nearly as user friendly since Corel acquired PSP from JASC. For one thing there is no way that I can find to completely turn off upgrade checking.
Glenn

ace
post Aug 30 2008, 08:37 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

I stumble my way around in GIMP for what little graphics work
Odo. I can't compare the interface to other editors because I
have never used any others except the trial version of PSP.
did have to buy the one book I found for GIMP to learn how to
use it even at a basic level. It sure isn't Microsoft like in it's
interface.

argeedblu
post Aug 30 2008, 10:03 AM
Post#5

Thanks, Ace.
The GIMP interface is unlike any other GUI interface I have seen, regardless of the type of application. If I understand correctly the app was disigned for Linux so that may explain the weak Windows interface but if it is typical Linux applications, then I can't see myself ever even experimenting in that realm.
Glenn

HiTechCoach
post Aug 30 2008, 10:03 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Glenn,
IMP's style is very similar to the MAC graphics apps that I have used. I looks a lot like Macromedia's Fireworks 3. I agree that is definitely does not have a Windows look/feel to how it works.

argeedblu
post Aug 31 2008, 05:07 AM
Post#7

Thanks Boyd,
I have found a couple of ways to tailor the inteface more to my liking but only because I have two monitors. I now have two books on Order so that I can learn more about using GIMP to full advantage.
Glenn

mishej
post Aug 31 2008, 05:12 AM
Post#8

Retired Moderator

Hi Glenn. I've spent some time with GIMP but it hasn't clicked for me (no surprise, I'm not PhotoShop-knowledgeable either).
But a tool I'm quickly starting to prefer is Paint.NET - Paint.NET - its easy to use, nice UI and support plug-ins much like FireFox add-ins and there are lots of good ones out there!

argeedblu
post Aug 31 2008, 05:38 AM
Post#9

Hi John,

It's been a long time since we traded posts. The 'secret' to gimp I found was to place the main window on my second monitor and then cluster some of the more relevant dialogues around it. I leave the main image window on my main monitor. That way I can access any of the GIMP windows without having the window cover the image that I am working on.

I am going to check out paint.net now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Glenn

After a very short trial, I'm very impressed with Paint.net. The user interface is much easier to use than GIMP. Of course, I won't have a final opinion based on a feature by feature comparison for some time.

g

Edited by: argeedblu on Sun Aug 31 7:01:43 EDT 2008.

HiTechCoach
post Sep 1 2008, 08:55 PM
Post#10

UtterAccess VIP

John,

Thanks for sharing the link to Paint.net. thumbup.gif

Looks like a great tool.

khaos
post Sep 5 2008, 02:33 PM
Post#11

Retired Moderator

It's not a graphic editor per se but I do find Powerpoint 2007 to be an excellent tool for gradients and button images. For someone like me with little graphic tool skill not to mention lack of even mediocre tools at work it's great. I mostly use the basic Paint included with Windows.

doctor9
post Sep 5 2008, 04:20 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess Editor

I hate to contradict, but I believe Mark's history of Photoshop is inaccurate. I don't think ULead's ever been involved with Photoshop.
had the great fortune to meet John Knoll at Star Wars Celebration III a few years back. He's one of the guys who actually created the program, along with his brother, who's name is still visible each time you start the program. Photoshop started out as a utility for Mac that they developed together. It was released as Photoshop 1.0 in the late 80's or early 90's, and was exclusive to the Mac. Aside from a small scanner company who had a primitive version packaged with their scanners, Adobe has pretty much always owned Photoshop.
Dennis

CyberCow
post Sep 5 2008, 09:03 PM
Post#13

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

Dennis, Ulead was never directly involved with Photoshop; you're correct in that. About the time Photoshop was Mac only, Ulead had developed "PhotoStyler" 1.0 for the PC and had far more robust editing features than did Photoshop. After Ulead produced PhotoStyler 1.1, Ulead sold it to Aldus - then the makers of "Page Maker". By then, Adobe had Photoshop out for the PC and in comparison, PhotoStyler was the better image editor. Adobe then bought Aldus up entirely and ingested the better parts of PhotoStyler into Photoshop; completely discarding the 'PhotoStyler' moniker.

Yes, Adobe has always owned PhotoShop, but Ulead "owned" the foundate code that made PhotoShop what it is today. I just always saw the passage of PhotStyler to Photoshop as a convoluted path taken by Adobe to acquire the superior code after having read an article how Ulead would not sell to Adobe. Remember, this was extremely early 1990 or 91 and I've slept since then; so while my dates may not be accurate, the path from PhotoStyler to Photoshop is. (I just left out much of this detail in my prior post.) wink.gif

argeedblu
post Sep 6 2008, 10:57 AM
Post#14

Ken,
tried that route before doing anything else. I wanted a gradient image to use in the form background. While the gradient looked great on a ppt slide, I wasn't able to produce the gradient I wanted as a stand alone image. With GIMP and now, Paint.net, the problem is almost trivial.
Glenn

chicatx
post Jan 18 2009, 10:08 PM
Post#15

I used to use Photoshop, but have since switched to GIMP on my new Mac. Unfortunately, Adobe has just priced themselves out of my market range.
imm
- oDesk

mishej
post Feb 11 2009, 01:55 AM
Post#16

Retired Moderator

Glenn, glad you've found Paint.NET useful. I love it more each day. The feature I love the best is the user plug-ins. Most anyone can create a plug-in for Paint.NET. Many have and their plug-ins can be downloaded as open source with or without source code.
My placing these .DLL files in the program's Effects folder (typically c:\program files\Paint.NET\Effects) they appear on the menus the next time you start Paint.NET.
THere are some of the popular plug-ins resources:
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/photog...cles/15590.aspx
http://www.boltbait.com/pdn/
http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewforum.php?f=16
http://blog.getpaint.net/2007/06/12/the-ac...intnet-plugins/
http://graphics-illustrations.com/2008/07/...es-in-paintnet/

argeedblu
post Feb 11 2009, 04:30 AM
Post#17

Thanks for those leads John.