UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Closed TopicStart new topic
> Jump Start New Database Projects With A Template, Any Version    

argeedblu
post Aug 3 2009, 05:18 AM
Post#1

UA Forum + Wiki Administrator

Did you know that you can set up your own custom default blank database template? Doing so will give you as comprehensive a foundation for new database creation as you wish. Mine includes basic form and report prototypes, several VBA modules, and a custom user system table (which would ultimately be moved to the backend when I split the new application.
On addition to custom objects, you can set database properties as you would like to be (things like overlapping windows instead of tabbed and name autocorrect turned off.) You can also set the VBA references that you would like to be in place when you start to develop the project. Set up custom navigation groups? The new database will inherit any you have in the template.
In short, the blank database template will give you the same functionality as you might expect from default templates in any other office application.
This concept goes far beyond form and report templates that you can designate for design purposes. Objects created from these templates do not inherit code you may want behind the form. I have certain code and custom properties that I want in virutally every form and/or report that I create.
New databases created from the custom blank database template include exact copies of all objects in the template.
You can actually have templates for both A2007 and A2000-2003 (specifying which file format to use.)
Allen Browne (from whom I first learned of the concept) has an excelent article discussing how to set the templates up and important details to include in your templates.
Once you have created and located your template in the appropriate tempates folder, all you need to do to create a new database that is a clone of your template is click the Blank Database icon (in Access 2007.)
Please note:
If you have questions about this FAQA, please start a new thread in a general forum which relates to the subject of the item about which you have a question. You should include a link to the code archive item in your post. You can also pm the original poster of the code archive item to draw their attention to your new thread.
You may contact me about the FAQA directly via PM without posting a question in a new thread.
Glenn
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 09:45 AM