UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New To Writing A Wiki Article...    

jleach
post Mar 29 2010, 09:29 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

Hi all,
I was browsing around on the Wiki this morning and came to a link for a page that doesn't exist yet (naming conventions), and thought hey, I can write something about that.
So I've never written a Wiki article before, but as we speak I have another tab opened with a couple paragraphs. I suppose I have a few questions...
1) is there a way I can preview this article before it is actually posted in the wiki? I'm not confident enough to write it up in the editor and click GO without wondering what it's going to look like. This isn't too big a deal, but I'd just hate to put up a half written article while trying to test out formatting. Should I make a NamingConventionsTest page for this?
2) Etiquette... As a general rule, I'm trying not to say "I" or "me" too much (and trying to avoid the use of opinions that may be outside the 'standard' scope of things) in the article, but sometimes it's the easiest way to get the point across. Understanding that this is highly public and editable material, I'm trying to do my best to ensure that I'm not making it too much my own... I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue if I slip a few things in there, but I'm not really sure what 'WikiEtiquette' consists of... any pointers? I'd like to sign my name at the bottom as well, being the author of the base article, but not sure if this is proper or not?
And one last thing... being the first time I've ever tried to create a wiki page here or anywhere else, if anyone should care to monitor and provide suggestions or constructive criticism as I progress, feel free - I can use whatever guidance anyone may offer...
Thanks for the help!
Go to the top of the page

jleach
post Mar 29 2010, 09:51 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Ok, I found the preview button at the bottom of the edit page... <

BananaRepublic
post Mar 29 2010, 10:45 AM
Post#3

Dungeon Cleaner

Glad you found the answer to #1.
2 - it seems to me that it would be consistent with other articles that we avoid personal pronouns, but I would not actually worry too much about it because the great thing about wiki is that someone else will come along and edit and we all will improve the quality.
A tip: Open other pages in edit and look at how you can use wiki markups there.
HTH.

jleach
post Mar 29 2010, 11:40 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/Naming_Conventions
ool, so I think I got it. Not sure how to add this to the TOC though? Didn't seem to find it in the help at all either...

BananaRepublic
post Mar 29 2010, 11:50 AM
Post#5

Dungeon Cleaner

I think it was on the main page but that's OK -
If you go and look at other pages that is llinked by ToC (not ToC itself), and enter the editing mode, scroll way to the bottom, you should see something like
[[Category:Table of Content]] (?) which you would then copy and paste it in your new page.
I did that make sense?

Alan_G
post Mar 29 2010, 11:52 AM
Post#6

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Jack
Looks good to me - many thanks for your contribution to the UA Wiki
There's info on the Wiki home page about how to add your article to the Index and Table of Contents, but basically at the end of the article just add
[[Category:Table of Contents]] [[Category:Access Wiki Index]]

jleach
post Mar 29 2010, 12:10 PM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

Thanks, that did the trick. It's rare enough that I'm able to put in where one of the experts hasn't already. Glad to contribute!

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 08:17 PM