UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moving Entire Pages In The Wiki    

jleach
post Mar 30 2010, 04:27 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

How would we go about moving an entire page in the wiki?
For instance, the error handling page has a great example of a global error handler right now, but I would like to make some changes... I think a base description of error handlers (both global ones and local(?) ones) would be ideal for the main page (basic err handling descriptions, links, pros and cons in global vs local handlers, etc), and think that we could benifit from moving the existing to a "global error handler examples" page.
Thoughts?
P.S. - this wiki is the best thing since sliced bread AFAIC
Go to the top of the page

jleach
post Mar 30 2010, 04:37 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

Also... if we have some relevant code samples, would it be prudent to post these as a page in the wiki, or keep them in the UA Code Archive?
For example, I have some code that deals with navigating in subforms... we could have a base page that describes different methods of programmatic navigation, with a section on navigating in subforms, with a link to a page that has a post of an importable module to (hopefully) easily handle any subform navigation?

Alan_G
post Mar 30 2010, 05:43 AM
Post#3

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Jack
Glad you're enjoying the UA Wiki - and once again many thanks for your valuable contributions to it <
One of the Wiki Admins/Mods can move a page for you, so you'd have to let us know what you want to happen. Posting code samples in the Wiki is also a good idea so feel free to post away and add whatever you want.
Look forward to seeing your next article <

jleach
post Mar 30 2010, 11:24 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Good to know you guys don't mind code samples being posted to the wiki. I'll keep them to a seperate page from the main article to make things a bit more managable (assuming they're lengthy...)
Is far as moving an existing page, right now the Error Handling page is an example of what seems to be a very nice global handler. I'd like to see if this can be moved to a dedicated page for global handling... perhaps GlobalErrorHandlers or something? This way we can use the Error_Handlers page as a spot for general info on error handling basics, with links to the code that is already there. And if there are other examples of global handlers people would like to post it would keep the main Error_Handling page from becoming excessively lengthy.
Odon't mean to be pushy about it and seem like I want the existing article pushed out of the way, but on the other hand, considering that a good portion of people looking up info in a wiki are going to tend to be newer users, I think it would be good to provide some base-level information on the subject, and moving the existing would help keep things tidy.
Thanks!
p.s. - I'll start writing up something for basic error handling, but it might be a few days, little busy here at the moment. In the meantime, I don't know that the existing info on the page should be moved until we have something to replace it (and link to it from?). If I were to to post the basic err handling article to a 'temp' wiki page, would it be much trouble for you mods to swap them out after both articles are ready? I'm not sure how much of a pain this is, but would like to avoid the existing info being down while I work on something to replace it...

Alan_G
post Mar 30 2010, 11:44 AM
Post#5

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi Jack
Your suggestion seems very sensible to me re having a 'generic' error handling page with links to more in depth articles.
Let us know when you get time to finish it and we can see about changing things around <

CyberCow
post Mar 30 2010, 02:45 PM
Post#6

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

I re-wrote some global error handling routines for the wiki and moved 'em there when the Wiki first fired up. The intent was allow otheres to put their own 2¢ into the article. Why not start there? Or am I missing something altogether?

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 05:37 AM