UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is There A Primer?    

doctor9
post May 10 2010, 03:57 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

I did a bit of flailing around before I stumbled across a page that said "You are either looking for a page, or are trying to create a page" at the top, so I was able to figure out how to create a page from that. I'm not certain I'd be able to explain HOW I got to that page, though.
Currently I'm lost as to where to look for these "templates" that are being referred here in the Wiki Q&A forum - I get the impression that the people in here all have some form of Wiki experience prior to this one. Sadly, this is my very first Wiki experience, and I'm desperate for a primer of some sort.
Meanwhile, the new page I created is located here. I'm assuming I need to notify a moderator of it's existence so it can be approved, edited, proofread, etc., and then finally added to the Table of Contents.
Feel free to pummel me about the head at this point. I get the distinct feeling that I've done absolutely NOTHING right in this process.
Dennis
Go to the top of the page

BananaRepublic
post May 10 2010, 04:23 PM
Post#2

Dungeon Cleaner

Hi, don't feel bad. FWIW, I did find the wiki's way to be convoluted sometime but such is life.
) The primer is essentially the Main Page which gives you some info and also contains some more links to other pages that give you some more information about how to write, edit, and do stuff in wiki.
2) You don't need to notify moderators for anything. As the Main Page shows, you should be able to to include the two markup code to add your article to both ToC and Index. I don't believe there's a pre-approval process in place.
3) Templates are something in work still, unfortunately. Hopefully when we have something established, I'll try and document as much as I can for other to use.
4) Hint, just in case: Similarly to here, bestest way to learn a markup language is to go to a page that interests you and edit it. You can then see all markup codes in use and see what makes it tick.
5) If you want to play, there's a sandbox: [url=http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/Sandbox:Main[/url].
I hope this helps get you started. < Do feel free to ask any questions!

CyberCow
post May 10 2010, 04:24 PM
Post#3

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

Looks good to me Dennis! You did nothing to warrant being "pummelled about the head". <

doctor9
post May 10 2010, 04:33 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Thanks, guys...
just found something... Apparently the WIKI help file is hidden among all the ACCESS stuff in the TOC, under "H". Should/Could that be moved up to the top of the page somewhere? Or maybe it coud be renamed "Wiki Help"? Just a thought...
Definitely gonna check out that sandbox thingy.
OH, and just for an example... is the TimePieces demo in the Wiki somewhere? I'd like to look at that page so I can see how other "former code archive" posts look.
Dennis

argeedblu
post May 10 2010, 04:44 PM
Post#5

UA Forum + Wiki Administrator

Hey Dennis,
It looks like Mark and BR have pretty well taking care of addressing your post. If you are still not clear, keep posting and asking until you get the answers you need.
You did ask how you got to the page that suggesting creating a page that matched the title you had in mind. Most likely you got there by searching for your title. If there is no match to those searched, the create a new page page comes up.
You might want to have a look at this page for some basic info on creating wiki pages. The page includes some links on a number of aspects of new page creation. One think you shoud do in the article you have posted is add markup at the end to add the page to the Table of Contents and Index. The page I linked to above has a section that tells you how to do that.
Glenn

BananaRepublic
post May 10 2010, 04:54 PM
Post#6

Dungeon Cleaner

I went and made a quick edit to hopefully make it easier to find help:
http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

doctor9
post May 12 2010, 09:22 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess Editor

BananaRepublic,
That's a nice addition to the Main Page, but my point was that the "Help" topic on the Table of Contents is a WIKI-specific topic, and has nothing to do with Access, whereas everything else in the TOC appears to be Access-specific topics. It just seems out of place amongst the Access articles, and I thought it might be nice if THAT link was moved outside of the TOC, like near the top of the page.
Dennis

GlenKruger
post Jan 24 2012, 10:50 AM
Post#8

Utterly Crispy UA Forum Administrator

Dennis,
The Help button located on the top of the page located in right hand corner of page under the Access Wiki logo takes you to the help page.
FOr did you mean something else.

theDBguy
post Jan 24 2012, 11:07 AM
Post#9

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Dennis,
If you're planning on moving your code archive submissions to the Wiki, we've actually decided to stop doing that. Everyone agreed that all code archive stuff should remain in the Forum side for ease of maintenance.
Just my 2 cents... 2cents.gif

GlenKruger
post Jan 24 2012, 11:22 AM
Post#10

Hi DB,
just noticed this post was made in May 2010 so I guess we are a little late to the party ohyeah.gif

theDBguy
post Jan 24 2012, 11:23 AM
Post#11

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Oops..

doctor9
post Jan 24 2012, 12:00 PM
Post#12

UtterAccess Editor

Maybe the attached image will make my point.
That I'm trying to say is that the Table of Contents for the Wiki includes a bunch of hyperlinks to Access-specific articles. EXCEPT ONE.
Buried in all of the Access articles on the TOC is a hyperlink called "Help". That hyperlink is NOT to an article about Access's Help system. It's about how to use the Wiki.
My point is that this is not where that particular link belongs. I would rename the link to something more descriptive, like "How to use the Wiki" and move it completely out of the Access articles' Table of Contents. Maybe up near the top of the page, above the TOC.
Dennis
Attached File(s)
Attached File  UAWikiLink.jpg ( 144.9K )Number of downloads: 17

GlenKruger
post Jan 24 2012, 01:03 PM
Post#13

Now I see what you mean Dennis but why would we want to put a link to a Access help file on our wiki site just doesn't make sense to me and who would write this article for all versions of Access.
omething like that is a huge project and it should be on the Forum side of the site.
Just my thoughts.

doctor9
post Jan 24 2012, 01:20 PM
Post#14

UtterAccess Editor

Glen,
I'm not suggesting that we must replace the Help link with content. I'm just saying that where it's located is misleading as to what it's linking to, and we should remove it from the Table of Contents. However, since there IS very useful content behind (just not Access content), it should be moved out of the TOC.
Dennis

cpetermann
post Jan 24 2012, 01:34 PM
Post#15

Auntie Spam the UA moderator

Great catch and point, Dennis!!
ill bring this thread to the attention of Wiki Moderators.
Thanks!

GlenKruger
post Jan 24 2012, 01:38 PM
Post#16

OK now I see what you are getting at. Finally warming up here so suffering from brain thaw... grinhalo.gif didn't ingest enough liquid antifreeze drunk2.gif before the cold snap.
see Cynthia has suggested she will bring it up so I will leave it up to her.

doctor9
post Jan 24 2012, 01:52 PM
Post#17

UtterAccess Editor

Phew!
I was running out of ways to clarify my original point. If this went any further, I was gonna haul out the Chewbacca Defense.
sarcasm.gif
Dennis

cpetermann
post Jan 24 2012, 01:58 PM
Post#18

Auntie Spam the UA moderator

This has been a Patience Test. tongue.gif
This was only a Test.
He are pleased to announce that your Patience Levels are below pullhair.gif
however the Current Level may need boosting to return to Optimum Level coffee1.gif
You may now proceed to the UA lounge for your Patience infusion -- no appt necessary <

GlenKruger
post Jan 24 2012, 05:24 PM
Post#19

Wouldn't want Chewy after me ... whew.gif

jleach
post Jan 24 2012, 06:07 PM
Post#20

UtterAccess Editor

I think it's a good idea to move it out of the Articles TOC (I've been overhauling a lot of it but hadn't gotten to "H" yet, else I probably would have done it).
Help in the Article TOC should defiantely be an article about Access Help.
On that note, the left menu bar of the Wiki was updated about two weeks ago (with one more update still pending), and you'll find a link to Wiki Help there.
Attached File  help.gif ( 106.12K )Number of downloads: 8

Thanks Dennis

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 02:51 AM