UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Video and image capture    

matthewmoran
post Oct 19 2010, 04:05 PM
Post#1

Hello all,
've seen some references to some image capture controls for Access. I am looking for some assistance/direction on the following:
From within a form, capture both video and still images. Store the video or images as wmv and jpg respectively and store the path to those images.
Is there a control or set of controls for capturing video? I think I saw dbpix referenced in a forum but it only seems to capture images.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
Go to the top of the page

CyberCow
post Oct 19 2010, 04:17 PM
Post#2

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

Have you looked into Camtasia ?

matthewmoran
post Oct 20 2010, 07:28 AM
Post#3

Does Camtasia have a control or method to integrate with MS Access?
didn't see where it did. We can capture the video separately and then tie to a record in a DB. I wanted to be able to start the process from within the DB.

CyberCow
post Oct 20 2010, 08:25 AM
Post#4

Well, it's just not a real smooth operation to use Access as an interface for other applications. However, Access can call other applications through the "Shell" method.
urther, storing images and/or video data directly in an Access database is not very efficient, and the suggested method is to 'link to' images and/or video (or any other non-Office file) and present through the form interface where feasible.
THere is a link (Play AVI) with a demo of just one way to interface an AVI video. There are several other methods available, but I've not researched them. (yet)
The problem with storing image/video data directly in an Access tables is a thing called "bloat" - which ultimately slows the down the entire Access application; especially when run across a LAN.
Here, where I work, we use Access to reference over 5,000 SEM (Scanning Electron Microscope) images. But they are not stored in the database itself, rather they (the images) reside on our file server and are called and displayed through the Access interface. Each of these SEM image files are about 3.5 Mb each and when you do the math, with over 5,000 such images, the total size of them exceeds 17Gb - far larger than the capacitiy of an Access database. Ergo, "referenced through linking" rather than attempting to store directly in an Access container.
Finally, trolling through UA's Code Archive and Interface Design forums should yield more examples of how to proceed.
hope this helps

bulsatar
post Oct 20 2010, 01:47 PM
Post#5

Hey CyberCow, I attempted your demo db's, but I couldn't get them to open. I keep getting error:
The driver cannot recognize the specified command parameter.

matthewmoran
post Oct 20 2010, 01:54 PM
Post#6

CyberCow,
didn't clarify but in my initial post, I specified that I am only storing the links to the images and video files. I do not wish to store binary image or video data in my database.
What I did not want my client to do is have to use a 3rd party application, save a file, go into a record, and "attach" that file to the DB.
Ideally, from within the Access app, I would like them to start a video recording session, have it save the file, and then the link to that file is store in the DB.
Actually, more precisely:
Record the video;
Return the file location;
Save the record which would then move that file to a predetermined location on a server and store the path with the record.
I'll keep searching around for video controls for Access. If not, we can use an external program, store the file, and have the user select it for a given record.
Thanks.

CyberCow
post Oct 20 2010, 07:35 PM
Post#7

What version of Access?

matthewmoran
post Oct 20 2010, 07:46 PM
Post#8

2003 or 2007 - both are options.

Alan_G
post Oct 20 2010, 08:01 PM
Post#9

Remembered as Utterly Yorkshire and Forum/Wiki Editor

Hi
I have absolutely no knowledge about it, nor have I tried it but maybe this might be of some use ?

CyberCow
post Oct 20 2010, 08:04 PM
Post#10

Perhaps this: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-032 ?
The Microsoft Video ActiveX Control may have been deprecated.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 06:13 PM