UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wiki:Text Formatting Guidelines    

jleach
post Jan 21 2012, 09:43 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

Topic for wiki article: Text Formatting Guidelines
Go to the top of the page

jleach
post Jan 21 2012, 09:47 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess Editor

I just got done putting some Line Breaks and Whitespace notes in this entry, thought I'm not sure if I've used the correct terminology between Line Feeds and Carriage Returns (I've never made much distinction between the two).
While I feel I've gotten the point of the article across, if someone could step in and fix any terminology to make it more technically accurate, it'd be appreciated.
Thanks,

BananaRepublic
post Jan 21 2012, 10:41 PM
Post#3

Dungeon Cleaner

Jack,
Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see anything mentioning CR or LF explicitly in the article?
But to answer the question, they're a holdover from the old days of typewriters.
CR meant to move the cartridge to the left
LF meant to advance the page up by one line.
If you CR'd but didn't LF'd, you'd be now typing over the same line you just typed. Likewise, if you did LF'd but didn't CR'd, you end up writing like this:
In Windows, we do use CR + LF but on several other platforms (Mac OS X, *nix), it's just LF, and most word processing are now smart enough to treat a single LF character and a CR + LF charactes as equivalent.
Anyway, I don't think they are applicable in context of wiki markup since we use <br /> so I don't think we need to mention or worry about the terminology.
One thing, though. <br> is technically "wrong" because it's not well-formed. I _believe_ that would be invalid syntax were we to use XHTML. HTML, however, is pretty lax and couple with unfortunate fact that several browsers have broke the standards, which is why we have <br>" flying in face of the specification that an element be always closed. I wonder, though, if we can only suggest "<br />" and just not mention "<br>" at all? Or is there a need to use "<br>" for compatibility with stupid old bro

jleach
post Jan 21 2012, 11:20 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess Editor

Ok, <br/> takes care of it... thought it might. True on the <br/> vs. <br> as well... AFIAK we don't need the <br> version at all, I'll pull it out

theDBguy
post Jan 22 2012, 01:39 PM
Post#5

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi Jack,
on't know how the Wiki software will interpret it but <br/> is technically wrong syntax. The correct one includes a space, just like how BR posted it: <br />
Just my 2 cents... 2cents.gif

jleach
post Jan 22 2012, 06:04 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Thanks DBguy. I haven't gotten around to updating the article yet but for the record I'm pretty sure I've used all three in my wiki travels without issue.
Cheers,

theDBguy
post Jan 22 2012, 06:24 PM
Post#7

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Thanks, Jack. Just wasn't sure how the Wiki Interpreter works, that's all.
C

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 12:27 AM