UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Chm/help File Blocked    

akn_39
post Mar 7 2012, 11:25 PM
Post#1

Hello Everyone: I was not sure where to post this question, but it relates to opening an MS/Access database Help File, in chm format (on Windows/XP). The file is created with HTML Help Workshop and works satisfactorily on the computer on which it is created. However, when the file is copied to other computers, it generates an Open File/Security Warning message. The message can be overridden or the file can be "Unblocked", but is necessary to do this every time the file is updated and replaced, and I am looking for a solution which will allow the file to open even when a new version is detected. I have seen references to updating the Registry ItssRestriction/UrlAllowList, but I would prefer not to have to change the Registry unless it's the only way.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Tony N.
Go to the top of the page

arnelgp
post Mar 8 2012, 04:14 AM
Post#2

How about adding the CHM folder in Trusted Location.

akn_39
post Mar 8 2012, 02:53 PM
Post#3

Arnelqp: Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out.
egards. . .
Tony N.

shadow
post Mar 8 2012, 10:03 PM
Post#4

How are you replacing the file? Is it being emailed, downloaded, copied over a network, etc...?
HADOW

akn_39
post Mar 9 2012, 10:03 AM
Post#5

Hi Shadow: The file originates on my own PC, created with HTML Help Workshop. Lately, I have been uploading it to Google Documents and then downloading it on the destination computers, where I experience the security messages.
egards. . .
Tony N.

shadow
post Mar 9 2012, 10:39 AM
Post#6

If I'm not mistaken it's getting blocked because it's being downloaded from a web browser. Can you experiment with another way to distribute the file and see if that helps any?
HADOW

akn_39
post Mar 9 2012, 01:08 PM
Post#7

Hi Shadow: You're exactly right - a copy of the file sent via Google Docs will generate the Security Warnings, but a locally loaded copy (from a USB Drive) does not block the file. Just as background, I am doing my development in a different location from the production site, so I occasionally connect via Remote Desktop to implement new files and it has worked OK for other file types.
nyway, many thanks for clearing this up.
Regards. . .
Tony N.

shadow
post Mar 9 2012, 02:44 PM
Post#8

I don't know details but can you use some sort of FTP to transfer the file rather than a web browser?
HADOW

akn_39
post Mar 9 2012, 06:31 PM
Post#9

Hi Shadow: Yes, FTP might work - I will have to investigate. Now that I know what is causing the problem, I can work around it, but if I can find another method of transferring files (e.g. FTP) it would be more convenient.
Thanks for following up. . .
Tony N.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 08:33 PM