UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> "import Error" Tables    

Mvaldesi
post May 17 2012, 12:12 PM
Post#1

Hello, UA!
I'm running an Access database that imports Excel tables in which it's understood there will be several datapoints that do not conform with the data type as defiend in the Access destination tables. Every time I run the program, a dozen or so "Import$Error" tables are generated. Thanks, but no thanks! Is there any way to disable whatever function is generating these tables and just have Access disregard the bad datatypes? I guess I'm thinking there might be a option similar to turning "Set Warnings" to 'off' in a macro.
Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

River34
post May 17 2012, 12:38 PM
Post#2

I don't know if you can turn that off but maybe one here knows and will post. As another solution, you can run a function at the end of the import process to delete any Import Error tables.

RAZMaddaz
post May 17 2012, 12:57 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

Larry,
o you think by disabling "Error Checking" in Access Options, would then not create the Error Tables?
RAZ

Mvaldesi
post May 17 2012, 01:09 PM
Post#4

Thanks, everyone! Still not very good with VBA, but this seems like it might be a quick and easy way to jump in and use what little I DO know in a practical and fairly non-invasive way!

RAZMaddaz
post May 17 2012, 01:09 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

FYI, I just tried disabling the error checking and it didn't work, the Paste Error table was still created. Sorry to waste everyone's time and get everyone excited too.
AZMaddaz

gemmathehusky
post May 17 2012, 03:20 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

the import errors relate to data that cannot be imported, and you only get 1 table per imported file.
If you import to an existing table, then the data is of the wrong type for the column.
if you import to a new table, access/excel decide on the data type of the columns between them, and reject any values that don't match the data type. Hence import errors
the most likely cause is text in a column access decides is numeric. the easiest solution is to put the word TEXT (say) in row 2, of that column.
you ought to look at the import errors to ensure that the invalid data can be safely discarded.
HAs Larry says, it is easy to write code to discard the error tables.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    26th September 2018 - 07:37 AM