UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Missing Some Images On Internet After Antivirus Update, Internet Explorer 8    

doctor9
post Jul 2 2012, 03:43 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess Editor

A week or two ago I got a notice from my company's antivirus program (Vipre) that I needed to reboot. After I did so, my internet experience has been really wonky. Specifically, a lot of graphics (but not all of them) are now showing up as a red "X". For example, the Google logo doesn't show up when I go to Google.com. When I go to my local newspaper's site, the masthead graphic doesn't show up, but the photos from the news articles do. When I go to weather.com, the maps are gone. The IT dept. isn't giving it high priority, because it doesn't really affect my job that much, and I seem to be one of only a few people who got the notice/update that caused the problem.
On UA it's even weirder - some avatar photos show up, but not everyone's. I can see mine, and Alan G's on the main page. But BananaRepublic, Agreedblue and Cybercow are just a red 'X'. Most of my post-editing buttons are gone, but not all of them (see attached screenshots).
This is probably the most annoying - the message window itself is now widened because of the placeholder text for those buttons.
Because of my job, I do have some admin rights, and can alter most options in IE's settings, but I'm having no luck so far.
I'm really hoping this is somethign IE8 related, and not antivirus program related, and I can get this fixed.
Any suggestions?
Dennis
Attached File(s)
Attached File  UAWide.jpg ( 151.2K )Number of downloads: 4
Attached File  UAWide2.jpg ( 163.2K )Number of downloads: 2

Go to the top of the page

cpetermann
post Jul 2 2012, 03:57 PM
Post#2

Auntie Spam the UA moderator

Dennis,
When I first started IE8 there was a Compatibility View or Mode? button next to the Refresh button.
Do you have one of those you can try?
Also in Internet Options Advanced there is a box to check to Under Browsing to Automatically recover from Page layout errors with Compatibilty View.
HTH

doctor9
post Jul 2 2012, 04:27 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Cynthia,
BTW, I see your avatar! My computer still likes you, anyway. )
I have the "Compatibility View Settings" - there are no listed websites on the list. However, the "Display Intranet sites in compatibility view" checkbox is checked. Funnily enough, on our Intranet's main page, the IT department's logo is a red "X" for me... but the photos for the wellness program announcements are still intact.
The "Automatically recover from Page layout errors with Compatibilty View" checkbox was checked. Just to be sure, I un-checked it, then re-checked it, and hit "Apply". No joy.
I just wish I could figure out the pattern that determines which pictures gets "x"-ed and what doesn't... I'm sure that's the key to figuring this out...
Dennis

cpetermann
post Jul 2 2012, 04:50 PM
Post#4

Sorry that didn't help!
opefully someone else has an option to try.
Ocan never see any attached images in emails from my brother--just the Red X so I'll be interested to see what you are able to find.
Gonna guess that Moo and BR's avatars are PNG -- mine is jpg
so maybe this will help microsoft PNG images

cpetermann
post Jul 2 2012, 04:59 PM
Post#5

another option from Microsoft

doctor9
post Jul 3 2012, 08:05 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

Cynthia,
ext time I'm in your neck of the woods, remind me to buy you a drink. The PNG image fix from Microsoft was just what I needed.
Thank you! woohoo.gif
Dennis

cpetermann
post Jul 3 2012, 08:52 AM
Post#7

br />argarita on the rocks-- no salt <

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 09:35 PM