UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search
2 Pages V  1 2 >  (Go to first unread post)
   Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cannot Create Page, Page Is Protected    

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 5 2012, 07:28 AM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

I tried starting a new wiki page, following the guide found at:
http://www.UtterAccess.com/wiki/index.php/...Article_(HowTo)
But in step 2, when I click Edit This Page, I get told that the page is protected.
This is the page I am trying to create and edit:
http://www.UtterAccess.com/wiki/index.php?...amp;action=edit
What am I doing wrong?
Go to the top of the page

theDBguy
post Oct 5 2012, 08:19 AM
Post#2

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,
It didn't look like it was protected to me. I was able to edit it. Could you try again? Thanks.

pere_de_chipstic...
post Oct 5 2012, 09:38 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Does the UA Guideline "... new members must have 25 posts before they can submit to the "Code Archive" forum. " Also apply to the Wiki. ?
Just a thought...

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 5 2012, 02:33 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

You are probably on to something. I will try again once I have reached 25 posts. < Thanks for you help.

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 5 2012, 04:00 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

I am now able to edit the page. Which is somewhat weird because at the time of writing this post my postcounter only seems to be up to 22. I had a few posts in news that might have been soft-deleted (or similar) and thus count towards the total, going just above 25 posts. Thanks for all your help.

pere_de_chipstic...
post Oct 5 2012, 04:04 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess Editor

There are, IIRC, several settings, one at 20 the other at 25, so possibly the wiki setting was at 20!
Anyway, glad you have it sorted.

theDBguy
post Oct 5 2012, 05:42 PM
Post#7

Hi Smiley,
an't wait to read your article. I'll have to remember about the post count limit just in case another member run into the same issue.
C

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 6 2012, 02:16 AM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

I'd better get to work then.
followed your link to take a quick look at your webpage. It has a very nice simple, clean and consistent look to it. Well done.

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 6 2012, 03:02 AM
Post#9

UtterAccess VIP

The article has been posted now. This is my first time writing to a wiki, so if you or others have any suggestions I would be happy to hear it.

jleach
post Oct 6 2012, 05:36 AM
Post#10

UtterAccess Editor

Looks good, thanks for the addition.
e're in process of working out a layout and setup for HowTo type articles to be handled in the wiki, this would be an excellent candidate for it.
Regarding the not being able to edit without 20 posts (if that was in fact the reason), this shouldn't be like that. We'll look into that.
Cheers,

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 6 2012, 05:54 AM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

Thank you for looking into it.
haven't been at UA for that long as my post count will show but I have posted various guides and articles in Bytes previously. When posting a article as a forum post it is quite clear who made the contribution, but this is nowhere to be seen in a wiki article. Is this something you thought about? I realize a wiki is inherently different since everyone can edit it, but I do think most of these articles have been written by one person.
Ohappily and freely share my knowledge, but I do feel like the wiki is missing a "credits" section to give credit where its due.
Do you have any plans for this? Otherwise I feel I would probably rather post my articles in the code archive.

jleach
post Oct 6 2012, 06:05 AM
Post#12

UtterAccess Editor

In the footer at the bottom of each page, you will see a list of the most recent editors of the page. In the case of the article you wrote it states: "This page was last modified 2012-10-06 03:59:10 by TheSmileyCoder. Contributions by TheDBguy"
However, a complete history of every change to the page, who, what, when and where, is available as well. At the top right of the page, under the Edit and Talk buttons, is an Options dropdown, with one of the entries being "History". You are also welcome to subscribe to an RSS feed for any or all page changes.
The wiki is intended to be "open knowledge sharing for all to see and contribute" and as such we attempt to veer away from direct attributions so that others are not apprehensive about editing "the work of others."
However, if you would like a venue to post that is not editable by others and has direct, visible authorship, feel free to submit to the Code Archive instead (this is in the discussion boards list, towards the top of the list). The Code Archive is a moderated board where entries will be tested and approved, and categorized accordingly. A pinned topic in that board is the Code Archive TOC, categorized by entry content and sorted by author as well.
Thanks for the contributions, welcome to UA and we hope you find the atmosphere enjoyable.
Cheers,

theDBguy
post Oct 6 2012, 09:59 AM
Post#13

Hi Smiley,
Thanks for the article and thanks for your comments about my website.
C

CyberCow
post Oct 6 2012, 12:57 PM
Post#14

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

I just conducted a test with a "member" level account and post count has nothing to do with posting in the Wiki.
Any problems associated with Wiki entries are:
• Not completing all the instructions (missing the "Article"/"Function Library"/"Class Library" tags, etc)
• Not being logged in (sometimes the carry-over from the forum-side links do bring a member into the Wiki as "Logged In" and a manual 'log in' must be executed)
At least, that is what I've observed. I have reset the generic member account back to "3"
Now - how do we DELETE the "TestPage" article I just cre

jleach
post Oct 6 2012, 01:02 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess Editor

Test page is deleted.
Is there an internal count (rather than the displayed post count) that may differ and drive this at all (cumulative even among post deletions or Admin override of a post count value?)
I'm near positive I've seen one or two members who have signed up specifically to edit in the wiki with no forum activity at all, and being that I was able to see the changes, they apparently did not have issue.
At best, for the time being, we can ask TheSmileyCoder to let us know if he should happen to run into a similar error again (a screenshot would be excellent if so), and keep an eye out for future problems with other members.

CyberCow
post Oct 6 2012, 01:13 PM
Post#16

The UtterAccess Administration Team has decided that the Wiki is not a place for attribution of article contribution beyond what the Wiki itself records. Attribution is provided in the article's bottom info bar (as Jack points out), the contributor just has no control over it.
o many various authors were too inconsistent in their respective attribution syntaxing, (some were extravagent and others were non-existent; among other issues), so we made a command decision to remove and discourage manual attribution by any author. The intent is to have the Wiki set up with greater consistency than the forums. It is basically our knowledge base and we're still undergoing our growing pains there.
And, we are slowly beginning to migrate our Tutorials and Code Archive to the Wiki (as I noted to you in a previous PM) AND, that the Wiki is where we want to encourage new articles of that nature be posted. We've already begun to dis-approve some Code Archive submissions, urging the OP to post in the Wiki instead.
I hope this clarifies this for you.

CyberCow
post Oct 6 2012, 01:18 PM
Post#17

Jack - thanks!
There are two means of garnering a member's post count. One is retained as a numeric value in the member's table record and editable by any Admin. The other by conducting a query on the back-end to get a post count of articles that exist in the system. While I currently have a post count of 12,824 posts, (as retained in my member record), my post count via SQL on the back-end will be lower because some posts have been deleted over the years and that is what generates the difference between a member post count record and a queried post count.
Wiki contributions are NOT included in the member post count operation.
Clear as mud? Or did I actually write that coherently? iconfused.gif

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 6 2012, 01:39 PM
Post#18

UtterAccess VIP

Thank you for that clarification, clearly explaining where UA stands on this, as well as the reasoning behind it, and where it is going.
You have probably already discussed this internally in UA, whereas I am just new here, and coming in from the bush, I however personally think you risk moving in the wrong direction. There is a big difference between what I think belongs in a wiki and what belongs as tutorials and guides.
CAn example
Information on Recordsets, describing the difference between a DAO and a ADO recordset, explaining what a client side or server side cursor is, is good wiki material. But beyond the simple examples of how to declare, open and close a recordset, I feel that the more advanced guides on what you can do with a recordset best belong as forum threads.
The difference is that the wiki needs to be very generic and have alot of information that might simple be too complex for a single person to describe. While I can talk for hours about certain aspects of recordset use, there is also huge amounts of material I don't know. I could perhaps start an article on recordsets, but in their generic form they are too complex for my to give a full description simply because there are many aspects of it I have yet to learn. I could start it, and someone else could finish it. It would be a "true" wiki page.
Tutorials and guides on the other hand are very specific. They usually are quite clear that this is one method (but not the only one) of solving problem X, going through the steps from X->Solution. They are the work of one person, and having multiple editors might confuse the issue, or even break the logic in some points.
A wiki on recordsets should describe the properties, and could and should link to forum articles on different ways to use recordsets.
I think my latest article, the one starting this thread is actually more suited to be a guide, or placed in the code archives (And yes with proper attribution). I don't mind sharing freely of knowledge, but I do want credit for it. That is my opinion.

jleach
post Oct 6 2012, 01:45 PM
Post#19

UtterAccess Editor

Rest assured that the Wiki and Forum admins have discussed this, and many other relevant topics, in detail and the resulting configuration is set up that way for a specific reason and has nothing to do with a lack of consideration on our part.
The Wiki and Code Archive/Tutorial boards are all open for wherever you would like to place the material. We're quite confident that whether it be layout, environment or authorship considerations, we have something for most members here at UA.
Cheers,

TheSmileyCoder
post Oct 6 2012, 02:33 PM
Post#20

UtterAccess VIP

Thank you Jack Leach
had gotten the impression from CyberCow that you were in the progress of moving all material into the wiki. I will take your words into consideration when I write my next article.

2 Pages V  1 2 >

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 09:43 AM