UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Alias Linked Table (ODBC)    

lex
post Aug 12 2013, 09:28 AM
Post#1

Hello. Yes, I am a noobie (or at least I feel that way right now). <
I am working on a db where I'm using an ODBC connection and don't always have it (ie the connection).
What is the easiest way to develop in this manner? Have a dummy table with local data, and change the link/dummy when I have/don't have the connection?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 13 2013, 09:47 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

Most developers do want such an arrangement, albeit for slightly different reasons. It's called the Software Development Lifecycle. It means that all development is done with a development version of the database, in which you can make mistakes, try new things, work out bugs, etc. All in the safety of a non-production environment. Then there is usually a test version, in which all of the new stuff from dev gets deployed for testing by users, or in some cases, by designated testers. And finally, there is the production environment in which the real work gets done.
So, you have a somewhat special case, where you'll need two different development environments, one for when you have the ODBC connection and one for when you don't.
That adds a burden of maintaining synchronization between them so you know you are working with consistent data and structures in both development environments.

BananaRepublic
post Aug 13 2013, 10:47 AM
Post#3

Dungeon Cleaner

Truthfully, I think it's easier to have a beta database in the same RDBMS. It need not be at the same server as you can simply change the connection string itself and just not worry about the structure of tables that are linked. Depending on what RDBMS product you are using, you should be able to get a free or developer version and install it locally and therefore restore a backup from the production database into your local server for your own development.
That would be easier to maintain than trying to keep a copy of Access tables of same structure which also can potentially hide some bugs or create some gotchas in the course of development.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 02:46 PM