UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pc Standby/resume Issue, Windows XP    

wizstars
post Feb 3 2014, 11:43 PM
Post#1

From: State of Confusion/Insanity/Panic/Despair/Denial/Chaos

(Not sure if this belongs here or in software, but will start here--if it belongs elsewhere, I'll move it.)
I'm having an issue with my desktop PC restarting from standby mode, and wanted to tap the collective genius of UA for assistance. The machine is a Gateway E4100 running Windows XP Pro (SP3). When I try to resume from standby mode, the machine seems to lock up. No screen display, but I can hear the CPU fan running. I have no issues with it when running, or when going into standby mode, but I'm not able to resume my session without just pulling the plug and rebooting from scratch, whereupon I lose whatever I was doing. No major system changes since long before the problem started, no software or OS changes, no virus/malware detected by AVG. Power management settings haven't been changed, BIOS hasn't changed--what gives? My only idea is that perhaps CMOS battery is dying? the machine's at least 7 yrs old, I've had it for five yrs.
Any help/ideas welcomed and APPRECIATED!
Go to the top of the page

Jerry Whittle
post Feb 4 2014, 03:35 PM
Post#2

Utter Access VIP

I'd recommend not letting it go into standby mode or to sleep. Wastes electricity, but probably better than losing your work.

wizstars
post Feb 4 2014, 04:26 PM
Post#3

From: State of Confusion/Insanity/Panic/Despair/Denial/Chaos

Any other options? Shutting down & rebooting when I come back isn't a viable option for me. Standby always worked fine for me--until very recently; why not use it? If waste of electricity is the issue there, I can write that off as a cost of doing business....okay, it's not 'green', but losing my work product, or time, costs me a different kind of green, and that isn't acceptable to me.

CyberCow
post Feb 7 2014, 07:11 AM
Post#4

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

wiz - after 7 years, I would cease to put ANY at further risk and migrate all important work off of that machine and prep it for cremation. If it beginning to fail a wake-up from sleep, there are hardware\software issues brought on by age.
Oreplace my primary machine every three years at least - which I consider the typical serviceable life of a PC. After that, I am left with the distinct feeling that all the new OS's are leaving the hardware behind. I also take into consideration simple hard drive failure. Since first losing ALL of my client's work once back in the early 90's, I have since built a library of external USB hard drives for historical purposes. And even those external USB hard drives have life-expectancies that I try no to surpass - once and external USB drive is 10 years old, I copy its data to a new one. Solid stat thumb\jump drives I give a life of only two years tops and sometimes only one year when it is under heavy use. SS storage technology is improving, but they possess a limited number of read\write cycles.
Any way, there's another 2¢ on the topic. Hope it helps. hat_tip.gif

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    18th December 2017 - 09:52 AM