UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Screen Slow To Come On Line After Sleep, Windows 7    

dflak
post Mar 7 2014, 07:14 AM
Post#1

Utter Access VIP

This is an issue that started about a week ago. I have a system with two monitors.
When I come upon the computer in sleep mode, I wiggle the mouse and it wakes up. The main monitor flashes "ACER" every couple of seconds. I can move the mouse over to the second monitor and see the cursor there. The main monitor continues to flash ACER for several minutes and then the login screen appears and all is well.
This is not an issue of no signal getting to the monitor. When that happens, as it does when I shut down, I get a black screen with "No signal."
In fact, on boot up, I see the normal boot up sequence, starting windows, etc. and then it goes into this flashing mode for about a minute.
I've recycled power on the monitor and have assured that I've had the latest drivers. At least the device manager says I have the latest driver.
I'll try replacing the cable this weekend.
I hope it's not the monitor hardware that's going, but will consider that a possibility. However, it seems to be more of a software thing than a hardware issue. I expect a hardware issue to fail and stay failed.
So before I buy a new monitor (this one is about 5 years old), does anyone else have an idea?
[Edit] This happens only when the computer sleeps. When the screen times out, it goes to the login screen.
Go to the top of the page

Jerry Whittle
post Mar 7 2014, 10:49 AM
Post#2

Utter Access VIP

I have a similar issue with a dual monitor setup however in my case it's only about a minute. I do not go into sleep mode though; rather, it's set to power down the monitors for energy savings. One monitor is connected via HDMI and the other the normal VGA cable. The HDMI takes longer. I think that it has to communicate with the PC for a while.
ome monitors have their own energy saving settings. You might want to check the problem monitor to see if that's an issue.
I'd recommend borrowing a monitor to see how it reacts.

dflak
post Mar 7 2014, 11:10 AM
Post#3

Utter Access VIP

I am going to run a test when I have the time. I will take the monitor and cord and connect it to my laptop. I'll make sure the power profiles are similar to my desktop. This should test to see if it is the video card that's acting up.
Thanks for the tip for checking the settings on the monitor. I didn't change anything, but I'll check anyway, and maybe by toggling a few things I can get it back to normal.

dflak
post Mar 7 2014, 11:38 AM
Post#4

Utter Access VIP

I finally figured out how to ask the question properly in Google. It seems that the issue is with the capacitors in the monitor. First, I'd have to learn how to disassemble the monitor in a manner in which it can be reassembled, and then I'd have to identify the capacitors in question, and then I'd have to desolder them, and then I'd have to solder in the new ones. Aside from the fact that the last time I used a soldering iron was in the 1960's, I have about 6 thumbs on each hand.
The "fix" for someone who knows how to do it is about $12-$15. I'll look for some local talent.

CyberCow
post Mar 23 2014, 08:54 AM
Post#5

UdderAccess Admin + UA Ruler

Wher in NC are you? I have an old friend in Greensboro who can solder. If you're close enough, perhaps he would be willing to help out. (This old friend was my DOS mentor back in the early days of my computer sojourn.)

dflak
post Mar 24 2014, 07:41 AM
Post#6

Utter Access VIP

I *am* in Greensboro, so he can't be any more than 20 mintues away < I've pulled the board already (and what is more, I think I can reassemble the monitor < )and will order the kit when I know I can use it. I also have the URL that outlines the repair to be done. Do you want to PM me with contact information? Thanks for getting back to me.

River59
post Mar 24 2014, 08:33 AM
Post#7

You may not have thought of this but just about any music store that sells instruments has someone who solders. The skills is needed to repair electric guitars, etc.
If there's one close and it's just a matter of soldering, it could be an option. Just slip the guy $10 and big thank you!

River59
post Mar 24 2014, 08:33 AM
Post#8

You may not have thought of this but just about any music store that sells instruments has someone who solders. The skills is needed to repair electric guitars, etc.
If there's one close and it's just a matter of soldering, it could be an option. Just slip the guy $10 and big thank you!

dflak
post Mar 24 2014, 08:37 AM
Post#9

Utter Access VIP

Thank you River59 - I'll follow up on that lead. Most of the computer folks are software-only about the only thing they have to offer from a hardware standpoint is to plug systems together.

CyberCow
post Mar 25 2014, 09:00 AM
Post#10

I'm trying to reach Frank now - waiting for him to respond. big_grin.gif

CyberCow
post Apr 12 2014, 09:58 PM
Post#11

Dan - hope you've gotten the problem solved by now. My friend hasn't actually touched a soldering in 15 years, (since his tools were stolen), so, he's not uo to the task.
All the best! hat_tip.gif

dflak
post Apr 13 2014, 07:15 AM
Post#12

Utter Access VIP

Actually I did find someone. Luckily I was able to pull the board itself. Shipping the entire monitor to Texas would have been prohibitive. Thanks for trying to hook me up <.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 06:34 PM