UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Runtime 2013 Problems    

PropMgr
post May 15 2014, 12:29 PM
Post#1

I am trying to get my application ready to share,
I have a primary computer with Access 2013 on it and a test computer with Runtime 2013
When I make an executable file it will run on my primary computer, but not on the test computer...
The non-compiled version will run without issue...
If possible I would like someone to email me a sample database compiled on a different machine to test and see if I can figure out what is going on....
Does not matter what just a sample database to see if I can open on a runtime machine
Thanks Mike
Info.SacCity@Gmail.com
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post May 15 2014, 01:23 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

What do you mean executable? Are you packaging the database in some way?
When did you get the runtime you are using? There was a problem with the runtime and MS stop the download at one point. Make sure you are installing the latest and greatest version and Service Pack 1 as well.

PropMgr
post May 15 2014, 01:25 PM
Post#3

I would like a sample database in Access 2013
that has been compiled to an executable file
o a Accde Forma

AlbertKallal
post May 15 2014, 01:35 PM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Likely your production machine has SP1 installed for office, and the runtime does not. You need to apply SP1 to your runtime only machine.
For 2013 runtime, things changed since 2010. For Access 2010, the runtime install and the SP1 update are SEPARATE installs (however I have slipstreamed them together).
For Access 2013 you have to un-install 2013 runtime and then download the latest version which includes sp1.
The “tip” off here is that when you INCLUDE SOURCE CODE, access (and yes even the runtime) will re-compile your code on the fly since it detects different binary versions.
So including source code works, but if you try using a compiled accDE which is a binary only compiled application, then no such re-compile of code can occur without source code. And thus without the SP1 update applied to that runtime, you are effectively running two different versions of Access of the runtime system.
HAs a general rule you much want to match up the development machine and the target runtime binaries when distribution compiled code. This advice quite much applies to most platforms, and turns out this issue applies to Access and compiled applications also!
Best regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

DanielPineault
post May 15 2014, 01:54 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Just to clarify terminology to avoid confusion and make we are all on the same page.
You can in fact compile an Access database and create an mde or accde version of your database, but you cannot create an executable file (exe). They are 2 distinct things.

PropMgr
post May 15 2014, 02:22 PM
Post#6

Yes I can create a ACCDE file, which I mistakenly referred to as a exe file... Sorry for the confusion...
ninstalling Runtime for the second time, will try service pack one and then reinstall Access.
I will keep you posted...
Mike

PropMgr
post May 15 2014, 02:50 PM
Post#7

[censored] me...
Ouninstalled Access Runtime,
Installed service pack one and reinstalled Runtime....
I hate that Microsoft makes it so difficult...
still cannot run a ACCDE file generated on my working computer, on the test computer....
More often than not I wish that I did not upgrade to Access 2013 from Access 2010 but I had bought a new computer.... [censored] me
Can someone send me a ACCDE file so that I can test it on my test computer so that I can see if the problem is on my working machine making screwed up files or on my runtime test machine.

AlbertKallal
post May 17 2014, 05:02 PM
Post#8

UtterAccess VIP

The above seems wrong?
How can you install a SP update to the runtime when the runtime is not installed yet?
The statements and suggesting here in regards of the version of office and sp updates.
You cannot install the SP update to the runtime when you don’t even have the runtime installed!
The process for installing the Access 2010 runtime will require two steps:
Install 2010 runtime
Install 2010 runtime SP update.
Above MUST occur on target computer. (you can slipstream the sp2 update into the runtime, but lets deal with that another time).
The two files for 2010 are here:
Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...s.aspx?id=10910
Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Access 2010 Runtime (KB2687444) 32-Bit Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/de...s.aspx?id=39643
AFTER you install the above runtime, THEN you run the SP update to THAT RUNTIME install.
So to have the runtime updated to SP2, then you MUST FIRST install the runtime, and THEN apply the SP2 update to that runtime. This of course cannot occur on your development machine and MUST be done on the target computer.
For Access 2013 runtime, there is NO sp update and the sp update is included in the LATEST version of the runtime. In this case then you DO NOT, WILL NOT, AND CANNOT APPLY SOME SP UPDATE TO THE RUNTIME and you MUST download a new copy of the runtime. The sp updates for office 2013 are ONLY for the full version of office and NOT for the runtime.
On your development machine:
Apply the office sp update – you cannot use the runtime update on your development machine. And installing the office SP update to the full version of office WILL NOT update nor fix nor patch the runtime files you have on your development computer.
You also cannot install the runtime on your development machine (nothing will happen and in fact I much suggest you do not do this anyway).
AFTER you are 100% you development machine has the Office 2013 sp update then I VERY MUCH suggest you do a de-compile of your accDB on your development machine. You then compile (create) the accDE.
Best regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

Wedge
post Apr 23 2015, 11:37 AM
Post#9

Hi Albert. Interesting advise and matches my own findings. The only question I have is regarding versions. The 2013 SP1 runtime version is 15.0.4569.1506 but my 'full' Access install is version 15.0.4709.1000. Will this make any difference when running MDEs on the runtime? I cannot see how to update the SP1 runtime to the same version as the full Access.

I suppose I will just have to try it and find out.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 10:28 AM