UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Accessibility User Stylesheet Not Working?, Internet Explorer 9    

JessHolbrook
post May 21 2014, 12:17 PM
Post#1

Hi there,
I have a little style sheet that I use in Internet Explorer, but it's not completely working & I have no idea why. Everything I've been able to locate online either applies to working with sites that I would have access to the server files, or is simply way over my head with technical jargon. I thought I'd see if someone here might have any idea.
Basically, I have IE9 Tools > Internet Options > Accessibility > User style sheet "Format documents using my style sheet" check box selected, and the Style sheet: field is set to C:\Users\Holbrook\Documents\clydewidth.CSS.
clydewidth.CSS is a text file I created, then saved with that name as a Unicode file at the above location. The entire file is this:
body {
width: 1280px !important
font-size: 10pt !important
}
I am concerned with the body width of my pages, but have the font-size attribute included as a test, because I cannot get the body width to make a bit of a darn difference. The font size works--I open IE9, and voila, 10pt text. If I disable the style sheet, the text goes back to the sizes specified by the specific sites I visit.
I have no idea why it is accepting my user-specified font size, but not the body width. My presumption is I'm misunderstanding or ignorant of something with IE9, and my hope is that someone might be able to enlighten me.
Any help would be amazing! Thank you!
jess
Go to the top of the page

cheekybuddha
post May 21 2014, 02:24 PM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

Hi Jess,
Are you trying to make your pages wider or narrower?
It should work if you are trying to make your pages narrower - it does for me with UA pages in Firefox if I set the Body Width = 1280px.
But if you are trying to make narrow pages wider, then you may have containers within the body that have width set less than 1280px and won't be affected by just widening the Body.
Do you have any specific URL's that we can test?
hth,
d

JessHolbrook
post May 21 2014, 02:36 PM
Post#3

Hrm--excellent point, I hadn't thought of that.
don't have any to share, unfortunately, they are pages on our company intranet & secured. I don't 'think' there are any containers within the body, with the exception of a table, but the table doesn't have a set width & I could certainly be mistaken altogether since I hadn't been paying close attention to that.
I'm going to take a look & see with this in mind & find out if I missed anything--if I can't find anything else, perhaps posting the page's CSS will help (I honestly really only use the one page in IE. wow!).
Thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted!
Jess

JessHolbrook
post May 21 2014, 03:35 PM
Post#4

Alright, so I combed through everything & don't see any containers set to smaller widths. main.CSS shows the body max-width as 1020px, & I am trying to go wider. The table within the body is set to 100% width. Nothing in the html that sets any widths either.
I'm stumped... but I also tried to narrow the width and that didn't do anything either. Good ol' font size is still working, but width stays the same. Boo! I also tried viewing other pages besides just the one I care about, with the same results.
Since I'm unable to share a URL, is there something else, like the full CSS perhaps, that might be helpful instead?
The issue I'm trying to resolve is to have the font larger for a sight-impaired user, but the text is set in a table with a lot of empty space around it--if I can set the body wider, I can make the text larger & easier to read without causing the text to wrap within the cells of the table.

cheekybuddha
post May 21 2014, 04:02 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP

Try overriding the max-width as well.
ody {
width: 1280px !important
max-width: 1280px;
font-size: 10pt !important
}
Alternatively, does IE9 have a 'zoom' function/ability? On FF you can use Ctrl&+ to increase the size of everything.
hth,
d

JessHolbrook
post May 21 2014, 04:14 PM
Post#6

Good thinking--gave that a whorl & no luck. HRM!!
I'm not sure what's so funky about this page. IE9 does have a zoom, which works fine generally, but doesn't seem to cooperate well with the table in this page. That's what drew me to this solution in the first place.
Off for the evening, but I'll be back in the morning to keep playing & searching for ideas. If you think of anything else that would be amazing, but thanks for your suggestions so far, I appreciate it!

cheekybuddha
post May 22 2014, 04:46 AM
Post#7

UtterAccess VIP

Hmmm... I too am running out of ideas.
If you are allowed to post the pages's CSS and, even better, the page's source then that might give a further clue.
d

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 11:52 AM