UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Numbered Street Names    

argeedblu
post Aug 1 2014, 08:07 AM
Post#1

UA Forum + Wiki Administrator

This question isn't exacly about business intelligence applications but I'm not sure where else it might fit.
'd like to tap your experience with respect to numbered street names. Specifically what I am curious about is whether there is some sort of cut-off where a numbered street name would use numerics as opposed to the spelled out number. For example, it is possible that some communities might name a street, "1st Street" and others might officially use "First Street," instead. My thinking is that the worded format works ok until you start getting into larger numbers. For example, it would be difficult to fit 'One hundred and Fifteenth Avenue" on a standard street sign. On the other hand, there wouldn't be much problem that way with names like "First," "Second," .... "Nineteenth, " "Twentieth."
I'm interested in "official" name styles in use as opposed to how "locals" might casually write the name.
Glenn
Go to the top of the page

ranman256
post Aug 1 2014, 08:38 AM
Post#2

I find people enter data anyway they want and causes headaches for me.

Bob G
post Aug 1 2014, 08:41 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess VIP

what about something like East 119th Street?
You may want to google street names for a specific city and see what you get.

argeedblu
post Aug 1 2014, 08:48 AM
Post#4

Thanks Ranman,
I'm attempting to develop traps for non-standard data entry to better clean the data before it is committed to storage.
Glenn

argeedblu
post Aug 1 2014, 08:58 AM
Post#5

Thanks Bob,
After I posted, I came across an interesting Wiki article that shed a little light on the question. As Jeff B. put it in this post I think ultimately I am going to have to rely on USB technology for at least part of the solution.
Glenn

nvogel
post Aug 1 2014, 09:09 AM
Post#6

Interestingly, people can have strong preferences about how their address should be written. Just like personal names people tend to view their address as part of their identity and in my experience may be less than happy about being compelled to use some "official" standard address format. I'm in the UK and these things can be very specific to local culture and practice so my experience may not be entirely relevant to you. However, one option is to allow the address to be entered according to the originator's preference and then account for differences in spelling, punctuation, etc as part of your downstream address processing logic (enrichment, deduplication, householding, etc) while still preserving the originally entered format.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    12th December 2017 - 06:31 PM