UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 32-bit Compilers For Old Dos Programs    

SerranoG
post Dec 4 2014, 03:54 PM
Post#1

UtterAccess VIP

Once upon a time, our office used old Clipper 5.x and FoxPro front ends in concert with dBase III back ends to create DOS-based applications. The EXE files were created by compiling the PRG (along with their index files NTX) to allow staff to view data stored in DBF and DBT files. Recently, our office migrated all our computers from Windows XP to Windows 7... effectively killing all 16-bit programs.

The DOS programs have been retired, but every now and then staff still need to see the data in their native format or get a print-out in its native format. I can link to the DBF files via MS Access, but sometimes they want the whole report package.

The IT department refuses to create virtual environments which would allow running the 16-bit programs (too lengthy to discuss here). So a question we have is this: Is there such a thing as a compiler that would function the same way as the old compilers and simply produce a 32-bit (ideally 64-bit) version of the same EXE file? If so, are there any products you recommend?

"Plan B" (if you will) would be to recreate the reports using MS Access reports linked to the DBFs. Staff are not going to alter data anyway, so a Print Preview / paper copy is all they would need. (I'm not going to reprogram the whole front end.) However, recompiling them would be less time consuming because there are about half a dozen or more of these dinosaur applications out there.

thanks.gif
Go to the top of the page

FrankRuperto
post Dec 4 2014, 05:09 PM
Post#2

There are no such compilers available. The closest stepping-stone would be to migrate those apps to Visual FoxPro. You could continue natively running those legacy apps in MS Virtual PC 2007 or VMWare, but my best advice is to migrate the data to Access ACCDB tables and create reports in Access. I've done several DOS 6.22-based FoxPro, Clipper, Paradox and Informix conversions to Access 2010. Converting the data was the easiest part.

doctor9
post Dec 4 2014, 05:10 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

SerranoG,

Would the IT department allow you to use DosBox to emulate 16-bit DOS? It's a fairly straightforward program, which people mostly use to play old video games, but it might be worth trying to see if it can be used for your purposes.

Personally, I like your Plan B - Not only could you re-create the older reports in Access, but you could put together new ones, or altered versions of the old ones with relative ease, and those reports would be viable for use in the foreseeable future, as Access is still alive and kicking. Your IT department seems to be trying to push you into the 21st Century with these older "dinosaurs". Maybe look at this as an opportunity to modernize the system.

Just my two cents,

Hope this helps,

Dennis

SerranoG
post Dec 5 2014, 08:06 AM
Post#4

UtterAccess VIP

Good morning, Dennis.

The IT dept. was only willing to set up a DOS Box environment for one agency in our dept. because that agency collects fees and they still use that application quite a bit. It's a temporary measure while they reprogram the application so that it's an up-to-date one. It's costing that agency an arm and a leg to get their DOS Box environment set up; and our IT dept. is crying that the whole environment is a terrible security risk. They have literally quarantined it while it's up.

In the meantime, our agency is not willing to spend the required money to put programs in DOS Box, especially for retired programs that staff "simply want to look at." Hence, our issue. If we cannot find a compiler, it looks like Plan B is it.

Greg

doctor9
post Dec 5 2014, 09:08 AM
Post#5

UtterAccess Editor

Greg,

Just to clarify... I'm not talking about an environment that needs to be setup. DosBox is a standalone program that runs in a window, like any other EXE program. It basically opens like the command prompt window does, only it emulates a DOS environment.

Dennis

SerranoG
post Dec 5 2014, 09:24 AM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Thanks, Dennis.

I probably misspoke in my description, but the IT people did mention DOS Box and nixed the idea. frown.gif

Greg

FrankRuperto
post Dec 5 2014, 10:09 AM
Post#7

Good Morning, Greg.

If re-writing the 16-bit apps in Access or running them in a VM is not an option, the easiest and least expensive alternative is to convert them to VFP5. This version can run most FoxPro 2.x applications with just a simple recompile.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  VFPC.PNG ( 93.91K )Number of downloads: 1

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 09:46 PM