UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Not All USB Ports Detect Plug Ins, Windows 7    

dflak
post Dec 10 2014, 08:40 PM
Post#1

Utter Access VIP

I think the title says it all. I can plug USB devices into some ports and they are not detected. These same devices work in other ports.

I've tried the fixit tool from Microsoft and it doesn't seem to work.

Any other suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

GlenKruger
post Dec 10 2014, 09:40 PM
Post#2

Utterly Crispy UA Forum Administrator

Dan I had that same problem with Windows 7. I tried everything I could think of and finally just went and bought a $20.00 USB hub.
Problem solved.

dflak
post Dec 11 2014, 08:38 AM
Post#3

Utter Access VIP

I'll admit, it could be a hardware problem. The computer is ancient: 2010. I was hoping components would hold together longer than 4 years.

This might also be an offshoot of a lightening ground strike last summer. A spike came through the ground and fried the motherboard.

Marsupilami72
post Dec 11 2014, 10:58 AM
Post#4

Did those ports work in the past?

Sometimes a mainboard doesn´t have enough internal USB-connectors to connect all available Ports/Devices on the enclosure...

dflak
post Dec 11 2014, 11:00 AM
Post#5

Utter Access VIP

Yes, they did work in the past.

I look at every USB listing in the device manager and they all say that the devices are working properly.

I have to recheck the physical connections. The computer has been moved, and some of the wires might have come loose.

GlenKruger
post Dec 11 2014, 11:01 AM
Post#6

Ouch, then my guess is one or more ports may have been affected by the strike.

dflak
post Dec 14 2014, 07:38 AM
Post#7

Utter Access VIP

Due to equipment change out (going from DSL plugged directly into the router to UVerse wireless), I had to rearrange the spaghetti plugged into the back of my computer. So it took the time to take stock of all the USB ports and I "re-assigned" USB ports: basically I wasn't sure if I plugged everything back in where it was before.

As best I can tell, all the ports are working. I had an interesting set of "pings" as I rebooted and those devices plugged into ports into which they were previously not, registered. (I read this sentence a couple of times and decided it is grammatically correct).

I had something happen to me this morning that happened to me before. I could not wake up the computer. Normally I do this by wiggling the mouse. Even in with a wireless keyboard and mouse, this normally works. Then I noticed that all the USB devices were dark. I plugged a regular mouse into several USB slots and the computer didn't recognize it.

I had to press the power button once, and the computer slowly "resumed windows" to the application I had on the screen when I walked away from the computer last night.

I decided this had something to do with power management. I went to the control panel and looked at my settings. These settings turn the monitor off after 30 minutes and sleep the computer after 2 hours. These have been the settings since day one. I clicked on the advanced settings and there is a setting for "USB Selective Suspend." According to the Microsoft site, its intended purpose is to conserve battery power on laptops. Since this is a desktop, I disabled it. I will see if this makes my problem go away.

GlenKruger
post Dec 14 2014, 10:16 AM
Post#8

Thanks for the update Dan. <"USB Selective Suspend." > I will have to check mine.
I dual boot windows 7 and 8 and when in Windows 8 all USB ports work not in Windows 7.
One front panel port on Windows 7 doesn't. Maybe this will fix it. I am also using a desktop.

R. Hicks
post Dec 14 2014, 10:24 AM
Post#9

UA Forum Administrator

I had a machine one time that the USB Ports stopped working ...
I ordered a USB card online and installed it and moved on to other things ...

Also had the built-in (on board) networking go out on a fairly new quad core processor box.
I installed a network card to the machine and I am still using it today ...

R.

FrankRuperto
post Dec 14 2014, 10:55 AM
Post#10

I usually goto the control panel's Device Manager to fix hardware problems. You can check the status of your USB ports, Enable/Disable, download/update drivers, etc.

cheekybuddha
post Dec 14 2014, 09:05 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

<quote> I usually goto the control panel's Device Manager to fix hardware problems. </quote>

See Post #5

FrankRuperto
post Dec 14 2014, 10:24 PM
Post#12

@cheekybuddha, yes I had seen dflak's answer about checking in device manager, but just because it says the device is properly working doesn't mean it will recognize any device you install into a USB port. Disabling and Re-enabling the device sometimes does the trick and checking the details in the device's properties helps to pinpoint problems.

@dflak, a possible quick solution is to run FixIt for Windows USB problems: http://support2.microsoft.com/mats/windows_usb_diagnostics

GlenKruger
post Dec 15 2014, 01:30 AM
Post#13

Frank he already tried FixIt.

dflak
post Dec 15 2014, 09:20 AM
Post#14

Utter Access VIP

When I went out to read up on USB Selective Suspend to make sure it was "safe," I found some other posts about computers that don't wake up. One recommended basically turning off every power option available. I hope it won't come to that smile.gif. If I see the problem again in the future, I will turn off / tweak the options one by one. I hope that USB Selective Suspend works well enough to keep the ports alive so wiggling the mouse or pressing the space bar will wake it up.

cheekybuddha
post Dec 15 2014, 08:30 PM
Post#15

UtterAccess VIP

@Frank, sorry, it wasn't clear that you had seen Dan's post from what you said in your response - you never suggested disabling/re-enabling the device as a trick to try, just stated what can be done there. blush.gif

d

dflak
post Aug 4 2015, 10:49 AM
Post#16

Utter Access VIP

FYI - it's been over 6 months. I have not changed my computing habits. The USB selective suspend seems to be doing the trick. I've not encountered a "dead" port and I've been able to wake up the computer even with a wireless mouse every time. We'll see what Windows 10 will bring when I upgrade in a couple of months.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    17th December 2017 - 12:25 PM