UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just Another Survey Database Question - Manually Enter Survey Responses?, Access 2010    

Djones
post Feb 17 2015, 06:00 PM
Post#1

Hi All,

I'm so thankful to have come across this forum. I'm hoping that you all can help! I'm designing a database for work, it's not really my job but I like the challenge. The database has to house all sorts of information, but one dataset in particular is the responses to surveys that the members of the program (and therefore the people and information contained within the database) must take at various times throughout the year.

I've designed it all, and worked out most of it. I came across this http://www.UtterAccess.com/forum/index.php...t&p=2391542 which describes my survey table design almost to the T (thank you very much! grin.gif )

We're hoping to use survey monkey in order to collect the responses. The design I've thought up (and turns out to NOT be unique!) is to have a separate table for users, responses, questions, answers, and surveys (since there are multiple surveys).

However, I'm struggling on how to do the responses table. I had originally thought of it to just be a blackhole - where each observation is unique to the survey-user-year-question (Survey1-UserID:00001-2015-QID99 for example). So the first 4 fields would define the composite key and then the next field would be the response. But then I read about how that creates an issue with data types. Since basically everything would be stored as a string, I was thinking about having a field that indicates what the response type "should" be within the question table. But I'm not sure if this would allow for the flexibility I need in for analysis.

My thought is that, at the time of analysis, I can just create a crosstab for each question ID where the field is casted as the contents of the "type" field in the question table. This would basically yield every question as a field and every row is a unique survey administration (user-survey-year) with the details of their answer or null if none.

That seems like NOT the best way to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!
Go to the top of the page

Jeff B.
post Feb 18 2015, 06:56 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

If you've not already done so, check out Duane Hookom's At Your Survey...
Go to the top of the page

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    14th December 2017 - 09:46 PM