UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iphone Possibilities?, 2013    

alex1991
post Feb 25 2015, 10:27 AM
Post#1

I have an access database with the backend located on a computer in a central location. The frontends are located on that same computer and 5 others in the same building.
I would like to make the same frontend available on an iPhone or iPad and I’m not sure where to start or if it is even possible.
Question 1. Can I still keep the backend where it is now and connect via Wi-Fi with the iPhone and iPad?
Question 2. What is the best app to run on these devices to view only the frontend form like the other frontends, can make a new frontend if needed?
Question 3. Part of the system is inventory and I'd like to use barcodes with scanners in the phones. Any suggestions?
Go to the top of the page

DanielPineault
post Feb 25 2015, 10:39 AM
Post#2

UtterAccess VIP

1. Access cannot run on iPhone/iPad
2. Access should never be run over WAN or Wireless
3. Front-End should be locate on each user's local computer rather than on a central server.

There are ways using remote desktop.... but Access is simply the wrong technology for what you are after. You should be switching to a more appropriate web technology.

jleach
post Feb 25 2015, 09:30 PM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Hi, welcome to UA.

As Daniel says, Access isn't capable of this. The easiest path to what you want would probably be to upsize the Access BE to SQL Server then write a peripheral app for the iPad/iPhone (Objective-C/Swift?). With the SQL Server BE, you can still use the primary desktop computers with Access, and while SQL Server isn't exactly native to iOS programmers, I don't doubt a connection could be made.

Cheers

theDBguy
post Feb 25 2015, 10:46 PM
Post#4

Access Wiki and Forums Moderator

Hi,

Welcome to UtterAccess!
welcome2UA.gif
Perhaps you could just use a Remote Desktop App on your iPhone to run the database on the desktop. Just a thought...

Monkeybrain
post Mar 6 2015, 12:20 AM
Post#5

Hi,

How about you build a new web-based frontend for your database, and build it as an iPhone web app?

Guidelines can be found here:
Getting started with iOs web Apps
Create an access app

As you don't mention what version of access your running, or if your databse is reachable from outside the facilities, I'm not sure if this applies to you.
The latter one refers to the new features of 2K13, so they might not be appliable for your needs.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    15th December 2017 - 08:54 AM