UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Put A Monitor 80 Feet Away From Computer?, Windows XP    

EdNerd
post Mar 18 2015, 09:47 AM
Post#1

I've got a computer at our church running WinXP. No network - it just runs a simple VB6 program that pulls up songs for the music team. I've got a dual VGA card installed to run two monitors, both within 8 feet of the computer.

We'd like to see about putting a third monitor back by the sound booth. It's about 55-60 feet as the crow flies, but the dog-leg in the channels under the floor makes a cable run about 80 feet.

I'm thinking I can take a simple Y-splitter and run the two close monitors off one card output and use the other for the back monitor. But everything I read seems to indicate a limit of about 30 feet for a VGA cable.

Is there a solution for this that doesn't involve a lot of money?
Ed
Go to the top of the page

BananaRepublic
post Mar 18 2015, 09:53 AM
Post#2

Dungeon Cleaner

Truthfully, that might be my first time I ever heard of wanting a monitor that's distant from the computer.

I would think it's more cost effective to simply get a laptop or second machine somewhere and set up screen sharing. You definitely can do that with a 100' ethernet cable if you don't want or can't use wireless.

doctor9
post Mar 18 2015, 09:57 AM
Post#3

UtterAccess Editor

Not a hardware guy, but...

Maybe a wireless monitor adapter that uses WiFi to transmit the video signal?

Dennis

Roguewind99
post Mar 18 2015, 10:07 AM
Post#4

You can get over 100' VGA cables. There's no signal degradation. I did this all the time setting up presentations in courtrooms. Check out B&H, they'll be the cheapest.
HDMI cables usually need a signal booster if you're going to run more than 30-40 ft. At that point, running HDMI->ethernet->hdmi is the way to go.

EdNerd
post Mar 18 2015, 11:28 AM
Post#5

@BannanaRepublic: That sounds like a decent solution. I do have another computer running Vista. But I have no idea how to set that up!??!

@doctor9: We use a lot of wireless mics. Not sure they want to put another wireless signal in the mix. But it's worth exploring.

@Roguewind99: NO signal degradation?? Wow! That defies everything I've read on this!! I assume "B&H" is BHPhotoVideo.com?? They have a Pearson 100' Premium for $60 - think that would work?

Ed

Roguewind99
post Mar 18 2015, 12:47 PM
Post#6

yeah, that's the B&H.

I have run 100ft VGA at 1080 res and it looked great. I would recommend getting the thin cable type. The heavy cable is very heavy. The only reason to get the heavy cable is if you're running the cable past a lot of electronics that could cause interference because it has more shielding. It's rare that anything you'll run it past in a consumer environment has enough electrical output to cause any problems.

EdNerd
post Mar 18 2015, 04:53 PM
Post#7

It will run in the same 4"-5" conduit as our 30-channel snake, some loose mic and speaker cables, and a couple of 120V extension cords.

Ed

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 02:50 AM