UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Win32api Viewer For X64 (ptrsafe), Access 2010    

merlenicholson
post Jun 12 2015, 05:31 PM
Post#1

I have created an Access 2010 application to select code entries from the PtrSafe WIN32API library. PtrSafe was created by Microsoft for WIN32API calls in 64-bit Access. The app mimics the "Microsoft VB6.0 API Text Viewer" except for improved search. This is an .accdb, so the code can be modified by the user if necessary. I would appreciate any questions, suggestions or comments, and I'll post later revisions. I have not tested this in Access 2013 yet but my expectations are that it will run with no trouble.

Attached File  Screenshot.JPG ( 36.31K )Number of downloads: 29

Attached File  Screenshot2.JPG ( 73.76K )Number of downloads: 22

Attached File  Screenshot3.JPG ( 51.68K )Number of downloads: 26

Attached File  Win32API_PtrSafe_2010.zip ( 638.63K )Number of downloads: 44
Go to the top of the page

merlenicholson
post Jul 2 2015, 09:01 PM
Post#2

I have revised the above app - a Version 2, 6/21/2015 and added a companion app that runs in Access 2010 64-bit. The changes are just an improved search and a label that reports the number of records found for a search. The data content is the same. Both were developed in Access 2010; the 32-bit version has been tested in Access 2013, but the 64-bit has not.

I have two more versions for just the WIN32API (no PtrSafe modifications) that were written for Access 2003 and Access 2010. Let me know if you're interested.

Version 2 PtrSafe for Access 2010 32-bit
Attached File  Win32API_PtrSafe_2010V2.zip ( 688.92K )Number of downloads: 59

Version 2 PtrSafe for Access 2010 64-bit
Attached File  Win32API_PtrSafe_2010V2x64.zip ( 669.97K )Number of downloads: 60

BananaRepublic
post Jul 3 2015, 09:07 AM
Post#3

Dungeon Cleaner

Nice, Merle!

I went and made few cosmetic changes:

* It was opening with scrollbars and partially obscuring the right & bottom part of the form even though scroll bars was set to neither - likely because of the shell windows.
* It also didn't resize as I resize the windows

To fix those, I changed the database so that it uses tabbed interface, instead of overlapping windows, uncheck "show document tabs", then set the anchoring on various controls. Now it opens with no scrollbars and resizing also resizes the textbox so you can see more if you want.

*The another thing I tripped over was when I tried to do search, I got no results, no nothing.

What I didn't realize was that I had to first select an API type. I went and updated the Case Else code so that it gives a MsgBox alerting to the fact that the API type wasn't selected.

*I also noticed that the Add and About have the same keyboard shortcut.

I went and changed "About" to "About Me", mainly due to lack of my imagination, and make the M the shortcut for the "About" so the "Add" button can keep its "A" for shortcut.

All in all, great work. This will be very useful! Attached File  Win32API_PtrSafe_2010V2.1.zip ( 701.49K )Number of downloads: 80

merlenicholson
post Jul 3 2015, 10:52 AM
Post#4

B..R.., thanks very much. I work pretty much isolated from other programmers I need feedback like this; it's very much appreciated. I try pretty hard to make apps look like they're not Access, and as much as a universal app as I can. Probably not appropriate in this case because the app is for Access programming!

The scroll bar showing is my oversight for not compensating for "border padding", a number that is zero on my Win 7, and probably 10 on Windows 8.1, where MicroSoft dropped providing the settings panel to make it difficult to change without a registry edit. A better approach is to allow for window resizing and saving the app window size so it will be reused on the next startup.

The width can be adjusted with changes to two Const in frmMain, but for fans of tabbed interfaces, BananaRepublics version is perfect. The shortcut keys really need to be changed good catch- I found two more, and the Case Else message is very much needed.

frmMain:
CODE
Private S As String
Private LastSel As Long
Private Const GH = 595 '<=== Increase default Height
Private Const GW = 390 '<==== Increase default Width
Private Const GL = 0
Private Const GT = 0

Private Sub cmdSearch_Click()
            Me.lstAvailItems.Requery
        Case Else
            MsgBox "Select an API Type first", vbInformation + vbOKOnly, "Search" ' <==Add message box
    End Select
End Sub

Change button caption properties:
CODE
&About ==> A&bout
Search ==> &Search
Reset ==> &Reset

Thanks again.

merlenicholson
post Jul 3 2015, 12:28 PM
Post#5

Banana, excellent changes, tying the textbox anchoring to the window resize. A very big improvement; I'll adapt the other versions. It handles hiding the tab and ribbon interface perfectly. Thanks! I learned a lot.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 06:08 AM