UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sugarcrm As A Solution    

question_mark
post Aug 6 2015, 12:18 PM
Post#1

Hello Folk's,
I have a question, little bit naïve in nature,
What do we know about SugarCRM ? Would it be able to function, do the same work , and be effective, simple with coding and queries as MS Access? And Not be a simple data container full of combo boxes.
Just curious to learn little bit more about new web platform. ( more then Wikipedia)

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 6 2015, 01:09 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

A CRM like SugarCRM is a piece of custom software designed for one set of tasks--Customer Relationship Management.

Access is a development tool which could be used to create a CRM along the lines of this one.

Apples and oranges. Maybe apples and apple trees might be a more apt comparison.

Unfortunately, beyond that I have no experience with this CRM. Maybe someone else does use it though and can offer insights.

question_mark
post Aug 6 2015, 01:44 PM
Post#3

So, then
why people move from MS Access to other platforms, is it security concerns?
How to improve the Access and make it suitable to changes and easy to maintenance. Specially , when companies prefer to use the clouds [ reduce the cost ] and limit server option, some internal databases become non-compatible to todays reality.

GroverParkGeorge
post Aug 6 2015, 01:48 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

Why do some people purchase off-the-shelf software (Quicken, for example, or SugarCRM) while others choose to use Access to create a custom application?

Primarily, I would say, cost and features.

If you build your own, or have it built for you, you get the precise features you want, customized for your environment, at a higher cost.

If you purchase an application, it costs much less, but may not have all the features you want.

ScottGem
post Aug 6 2015, 01:49 PM
Post#5

UtterAccess VIP / UA Clown

Access is a blank slate that you can write anything on. You can create any sort of database that can accomplish any set of tasks.

Some people don't have the skill or time to build their own solution so they are willing to buy an off the shelf product. It is not a matter of moving away from Access as it is moving towards an pre-existing solution.

RJD
post Aug 6 2015, 02:31 PM
Post#6

UtterAccess VIP

Hi: PMFJI, I just wanted to emphasize Scott's comment ...

Some people don't have the skill or time to build their own solution so they are willing to buy an off the shelf product.

Building a fully functional CRM from scratch can be a huge project. I came in behind someone who was attempting that at one of my clients. He had already expended a whole lot of hours and it was incomplete, buggy and slow - and then he left. It took MANY hours and lots of skills to debug/expand/complete the project and tie it in with other systems, designed specifically to that client's needs (international value-added retailer, electronic items), and get it running cleanly, quickly and fully functional. It's great now, with about 25 internal users - and we routinely add special analysis reports and sometimes new fields as circumstances change.

The point is, if you can live with an off-the-shelf CRM product, it may well be the easiest and least costly/frustrating approach in the long run. You will generally give up having a product just like you want it, but you will get it now with far less frustration. On the other hand, you can customize your own created CRM at any time if you need to, which probably isn't going to be available with an off-the-shelf CRM.

Good luck with your decision-making on this.

HTH
Joe

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    13th December 2017 - 03:57 PM