UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Access 2016 Is In The Wings    

argeedblu
post Sep 17 2015, 07:50 AM
Post#1

UA Forum + Wiki Administrator

17 September 2015

Looking ahead to the next Access Upgrade? Office Support have released this overview outlining some of the major features included in Access 2016.
Go to the top of the page

JonSmith
post Sep 17 2015, 08:01 AM
Post#2

Interesting, thanks for the update Glenn!!

Nothing game changing on that but I do like the 'Tell Me' ribbon feature. That would have been great from 2007 because although I think the ribbon is a great improvement after I got used to it tracking down some options can be a pain as they aren't where you expect. For example using Excel this morning I had to Google where the cell padding options were as I assumed they would be on the format tab when they are actually on the home tab. The 'Tell me' feature would have breezed me past that confusion.

Scott_Hall
post Sep 17 2015, 09:54 AM
Post#3

Wow. Not much. Templates are recolored, and they added that search commands thingy. Pretty underwhelming.

GroverParkGeorge
post Sep 18 2015, 12:21 PM
Post#4

UA Admin

On the other hand, one could be delighted to learn that Access is going to be around as a client development tool for at least 10 more years, given the current support cycle at Microsoft.

That takes it out to around 22-23 years as a viable tool. So, if you want to compare Access to any other tool which has come and gone, I guess it looks pretty darn good.

shadow
post Sep 19 2015, 09:39 PM
Post#5

To me the big excitement is that they aren't removing something that people have been using for years like they do in most newer Access editions. For Microsoft, that's impressive!

SHADOW

Scott_Hall
post Sep 20 2015, 07:38 PM
Post#6

To me the big excitement is that they aren't removing something that people have been using for years like they do in most newer Access editions. For Microsoft, that's impressive!

While totally true, ins't that just a sad way to be? Instead of hoping for new features we cross our fingers that they don't take some away. crazy.gif

JonSmith
post Sep 20 2015, 08:48 PM
Post#7

Thats because we have all learnt from experience. Often a company's overall aim or agenda gets in the way of what the user wants.
The easiest example I can think of is Sony forcing blueray everywhere such as playstations in a bid to force it onto the market. It worked as everyone who wanted a playstation accepted that they got a blueray in it and then had no need to buy a hd-dvd player.

shadow
post Sep 20 2015, 09:12 PM
Post#8

ins't that just a sad way to be? Instead of hoping for new features we cross our fingers that they don't take some away

Keep those fingers crossed that they don't have any serious bugs that should have been caught in the first 10 minutes of testing. History says that they will, and it will take about 2 years to release a service pack that will solve them, just before the announcement of another "New and Exciting Release" that starts the cycle again.

SHADOW

David Peel
post Sep 24 2015, 07:10 AM
Post#9

It seems clear that Microsoft is now focussing its attention exclusively on PowerPivot, etc in Excel. There are no new features for Access 2016 and the main headlines for Access 2013 were the things they were taking away (apart from the basic and limited web apps). It looks like Access is destined to go the way of Media Center - a great product that will be discontinued eventually. It would be nice to know the thinking (or lack of it) behind these moves, but we'll probably never really know.

It would be great if they would own up to their strategy and maybe make these unfavoured products open-source so that others could continue their development.

Digmen1
post Sep 29 2015, 08:29 PM
Post#10

Yes really underwhelming for 3 years of work 2013 to 2016.

I like the large Show Table (I had meant to write to them and ask for this)

But the templates are just cosmetic.

And the Tell Me ? Show me are just an admission that the ribbon does nto work.

I often spend ages trying to find out where a button, feature, option is, wheareas on the old Menu system I could always find it fairly quickly.

nuclear_nick
post Oct 1 2015, 09:04 AM
Post#11

Still working with 2010 at work and home. (They take their time to upgrade here... went from 2003 to 2010, skipping over 2007 completely... and I think they upgraded because support for 2003 was going away.)

Anyways... Why couldn't they make the window expandable, with say, a grow and shrink arrow in the corner?

And why couldn't they do the same for the 'Linked Table Manager'? Lots of improvement could be made there, not just attaching an Excel document, but any other Access database would be handy as well.

I guess they have to keep leaving room for improvement. Overall, something to see. Thank you, Glenn.

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 09:18 PM