UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Notebooks And Syncing To Pc, Any Versions    

mfisher5
post Nov 4 2015, 02:17 PM
Post#1

I can see the end of a database that stores sanitation monitoring data in a food plant. I am making the database in 2007 at home. The PC at work was recently upgraded and runs MS Office Professional 2013. My immediate goal is to put the database on a tablet. The QA tech will enter monitoring data on the tablet as they move about the plant. The tablet is then synced to the PC. The plant does not have a wireless network at this time; however, we plan to install a wireless network throughout the facility to take advantage of wireless monitoring capabilities in the ovens and refrigeration equipment.

I am looking for lessons learned by those who have done this already. I have not purchased a tablet yet. Are there features in a table that are essential? Are their features to avoid? The tablet is primarily a platform for the Access database monitoring function. The database will grow to include monitoring of product parameters during production, customer order status, etc. As the database grows, additional tablets will be added for additional employees to monitor the new database feathers. The QA will use the tablet for other work related tasks in other MS Office applications (e.g. email). Any advice or input is appreciated.
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 4 2015, 03:09 PM
Post#2

UA Admin

Which tablet? That's crucial. Access runs only on Windows. If you deploy iPads, therefore, you can't use Windows-based Access.

Wireless and Access are not good friends. So, if you want to connect to a central BE accdb, this is not a good plan.

Thanks.

GroverParkGeorge
post Nov 4 2015, 03:11 PM
Post#3

UA Admin

You may want to look into Access Web Apps for "walking around" sorts of purposes. Simple CRUD (create, read, update, delete data) is good on AWA's. Not a full featured app, though.

mfisher5
post Nov 29 2015, 05:14 PM
Post#4

George:

Sorry for the delay in responding. I had to go out of town for a few weeks.

I had in mind to use one of the Microsoft Surface Pro tablets. From what I read, they will run all MS Office applications. If Access and wireless do not play nice together, would physically connecting the tablet to the desktop and downloading/syncing the data work:

I Googled "Access Web Apps." If I correctly understand an Access Web App, it is my Access database that I created for my need - not on my tablet or desktop - but on someone else s server. Instead of opening my Access database on my tablet or desktop and entering data, I would open my database on a website and enter data. Do I understand that correctly? You described the Access Web App as not full featured. What features does the app not provide?

Thanks

Mike

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    11th December 2017 - 12:15 PM