UtterAccess.com
X   Site Message
(Message will auto close in 2 seconds)

Welcome to UtterAccess! Please ( Login   or   Register )

Custom Search

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Network Access Interrupted - Ms Access 2013, Any Versions    

lfriedmann
post Dec 4 2015, 10:18 AM
Post#1

Ok, I have got an issue that I have tried to figure out and I think I might of but want a second opinion on. I have just deployed 4 new desktops with Windows 8.1 image and office 2013 (32 bit). Users are getting the message "Your network access was interrupted. To continue close the database and open it again." I don't think that it is a network issue because they are cabled to 2 different switches and other applications that are connected to file server/internet do not get interrupted. The users that use the same databases that have Windows 7 and office 2010 do not have this issue. The connection is a ODBC connection, Office 2013 is missing a driver that Office 2010 had (the DBASE driver). Could that be why I am getting the connection error. Any input/help would be great, thanks
Go to the top of the page

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2015, 10:59 AM
Post#2

UA Admin

It is possible that your problem is indeed related to the deprecated DBF linking (DBASE).

Do you need/use linked DBF tables?

lfriedmann
post Dec 4 2015, 11:12 AM
Post#3

Yes, this database FE/BE is very old. I am in the process of starting the design of moving the table to SQL Server and developing the front end. Since that will be a very big and long project I don't really want to change any of the connections in the old database system. It would be easier to download the Access 2010 engine and just use that driver, would anyone agree?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2015, 11:33 AM
Post#4

UA Admin

Well, if you NEED the ability to connect to dbf files (and I think that's what you meant), then, yes, retain Access 2010. Access 2013 doesn't support that capability any longer.

There are alternatives, but it sounds like, for now, that you don't want to invest a lot of time or effort in a workaround. So, yes, just go with the simplest approach and use Access 2010 for now.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2015, 11:36 AM
Post#5

UA Admin

However, I do not think you can just "download the Access 2010 engine", if by that you intend to keep the Access 2013 version now installed and somehow get a different db engine for it. It's the same ACE db engine and there's no separate download for it that I know of.

You need to install Access 2010 itself to continue to use the dbf linking it supports.

lfriedmann
post Dec 4 2015, 11:47 AM
Post#6

According to this discussion: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/...91-2f9dbe651751 , you can. I have not tried it yet so I don't know. What would be the work around that you suggest? I have only been here for 6 months and inherited the "frankenbase" switch is why I am going to redesign it. About 7 people put this together and most of them gave no notation in the code.

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2015, 12:04 PM
Post#7

UA Admin

That's a whole different thing. That discussion refers to an ACE ODBC driver. You would use that to connect via ODBC to an ACCDB.

You need the ability to link to .dbf files from an ACCDB, using Access. That's possible in Access 2010, but not in Access 2013.

I suppose you could install the Access 2010 runtime and see if that resolves your problem, but then, that's essentially running Access 2010....

lfriedmann
post Dec 4 2015, 12:40 PM
Post#8

Well what would be an exceptional idea for a workaround? Like an alternative?

GroverParkGeorge
post Dec 4 2015, 01:40 PM
Post#9

UA Admin

There are two or three that I've read about.

One is to open the dbf files with Excel and resave them as .csv files, which Access 2013 CAN use.

Another is to retain Access 2010.

This thread may contain some ideas of use. I haven't looked at it for months, but as I recall, there was one suggested method of hacking a way to do it. If you find and try it, please do post back here of your success.

lfriedmann
post Dec 4 2015, 02:03 PM
Post#10

Ok, I am trying the driver install first. I might take a day to see if the error occurs because it only comes of on forms using the ODBC link. Since I just really develop and don't use them like the users do, I will have to wait for them to report the issue. Will post results. I know on the Microsoft sites there was a lot of arguing over this but no one ever posted if they tried or if it worked.

AlbertKallal
post Dec 4 2015, 03:56 PM
Post#11

UtterAccess VIP

I am under the impression that if you install the Visual FoxPro drivers, then you can link to both FoxPro and dbase files. It been a long time since I done this, but I do this this is still a viable setup and choice.

the VFP driver can be download here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms...v=vs.85%29.aspx

and I believe that a ODBC driver for dbase can be found somewhere here:

http://www.dbase.com/

So while Access might not support native linking to dBase, the FoxPro and dbase ODBC should allow this.

Regards,
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
kallal@msn.com

lfriedmann
post Dec 7 2015, 01:54 PM
Post#12

Downloading and installing engine with older driver did not work. Users are still getting the message, "Your network access was interrupted. To continue, close database, and then open it again." Is it possible that it is timing out? The users that are using Win 7 32bit with Access '10 32 bit do not receive this error. Only users that have Win 8.1 w/ Access '16 are receiving this error. I already checked the linked table address and they are done correctly \\server\directory\file. The only thing I can think of is that it is timing out. I am running a test and trying to find out if that is the case. Anymore ideas?

Custom Search
RSSSearch   Top   Lo-Fi    16th December 2017 - 07:53 AM